Second job... do you think it is do-able?

Rubic

Equine Karaoke Queen
Apr 15, 2012
Glasgow
I've seen a job working in a nightclub cloakroom 10pm-3:30am Friday and Saturday, minimum wage. I'm considering applying for it as I could really do with the extra money to get myself back on track after Rubic being ill and all the vet bills and expense of having a horse on box rest for 3 months. I work Mon-Thurs 8-4:30 and Friday 8-4 so would have time to get to yard on the Friday after work and sort Rubic out before going to work at 2nd job.

Stable buddy and I had worked out a system for winter, she would do TO weekday mornings as she lives on site and in the evening I would come up and sort Rubic and bring the pair of them in. I would do TO in the morning at the weekends and sort Rubic's stable etc ready for stable buddy/someone to bring her in in the evening for me.

I have next to no social life now anyway because OH has been so ill and I've had no money so I wouldn't exactly be missing out on that but I worry it might be too much as I'd pretty much end up not having much sleep from Friday morning through to Saturday morning.... I'd have a chance of a 2hour kip I think between getting home from the horse and getting ready for 2nd job.

On the plus side the extra money would be a big help right now. Hmmm

Anyone else done this before? Did it help? Any advice?

Last edited:
I did this sort of routine when I was younger

9-12 Office Work for a horsey accountant, then 12-8pm behind a bar then 10pm-3am in a nightclub.

This was on Tuesday, Thursday,friday,sat and sun. Although the office work was monday to friday.

I found it great but at 18 you would, I lived off nothing more than stella artios and pizza at 3am with the bouncers but it paid the bills.

I dont know if its right for you though, it can be a little risky at that time of night and it could affect your normal work. Its a tough one, what does your OH say?

I did this sort of routine when I was younger

9-12 Office Work for a horsey accountant, then 12-8pm behind a bar then 10pm-3am in a nightclub.

This was on Tuesday, Thursday,friday,sat and sun. Although the office work was monday to friday.

I found it great but at 18 you would, I lived off nothing more than stella artios and pizza at 3am with the bouncers but it paid the bills.

I dont know if its right for you though, it can be a little risky at that time of night and it could affect your normal work. Its a tough one, what does your OH say?

Sounds like you had a lot of work!!!

The time of night doesn't bother me. I used to go out in the city centre when I was younger/at uni and I was fine. So with my wits about me (ie not drinking!) I think I'd be ok. Plus I could take my car in so I wouldn't need to worry about getting home.

I figured this is one of the few jobs that would actually fit in with my current job because of the hours, I'd have all day Sunday to recover and my current job isn't too stressful or tiring. I have looked for better paid full time jobs however there are none about right now.

OH hasn't got back to me since I mentioned it via text when I got home from the horse earlier. We are sort of living together however he has been off sick for about 7 months, can't contribute to the bills because he wasn't getting very much money at all so I was paying for food etc for both of us too so it has just been a bad money year for me! He is half staying between my house and his mums so I generally only see him at weekends and a few evenings right now. He had a meeting at his work today and they have basically said they don't have a job that he is physically able to do so now he has to look for a new job and he was talking about taxi driving (so he'd most likely be out when I was working at the nightclub anyway!).

I used to work weekends and a few evening shifts while I was at uni and I managed ok with that. I think the only way I'll know for sure is to try it for a while and see how it goes.

I understand the need for paying vet bills etc, but I am not sure how I'd feel about the lack of sleep and late hours - and as Nat says, could be a little risky at that time of night? I am out of touch with nightclubs etc at my age, but I wouldn't be overly keen. If you do go for it, then I wouldn't advise doing it for very long, maybe just until you get back on your feet money wise, I think it's a hard task to set yourself - you don't want to be exhausted and miserable.

I could never do that in a million years, I am a lark not a night owl.

Massive respect to you for all you are prepared to do for Rubic.

I'd say go for it, yes the hours are a bit terrible but I'm sure you'll cope just need to be organized and rest when you can. I've done numerous nightshifts doing 12 hour nights of strenuous work (lifting, building flat pack furniture etc) and getting 3/4 hours sleep in the day before doing my horse and then going back, once did 11 nights in a row and then had one day off and back onto days lol. I hate having money worries though and do anything to try solve them, even if it is a bit exhausting lol.

I last winter was working 5 days at the shop,1 day cleaning for 5 hours and 6 days a week got up at 4am to do my mums bosses horses riding and general duties for 3 hours a morning,it was bloody hard work and I was tired but I done it for malaika and Tbh would do it again if I needed to,I think you get into a routine your body and mind adjust and for me having a reason to do it made me able to,there is no reason you can't do it even for a couple months and if its not working then leave but do try and have at least the Sunday as a rest day you will need a reboost day :) admiration to you for all your willing to do for rubic :)

If you think you can manage it, then I'd say have a go. I can't really see that it's risky - you'd be in your car for coming and going, and working in the cloakroom you've have the bouncers to help if there was any trouble - I don't see why there would be though. You could always pack it in if it was too tiring.

Id say go for it, you can only try and see how you cope with the extra hours. Thats good you can take your car in to.

I think its one of those things you just have to give it a go and see

I would say go for it . However think about it before you do. I work permanent nights 10pm til7am and it is very tiring. I will be swapping back onto days as soon as I can as I always have a very bad headache from working nights.

I think that you are mad to even consider it! Loud music, drunk people, abuse from drunk people (as you are bound to get in a nightclub!). Not getting home until gone 4am. It sounds one of the worst jobs I could think of.

If you need extra work, look for some office cleaning jobs or similar. Or perhaps waitressing or working in a normal pub?

It does sound exhausting, for minimum wage. I've worked 2 jobs in the past too though and it's do-able. Would just a normal evening bar job give you a bit more sleep (and less deafness) though?

I've looked at normal bar jobs however the days/hours wouldn't fit so well with getting Rubic done. This is the only job I've found looking for fri & sat staff, the rest have been looking for more days or starting much earlier which would make fitting Rubic in between shifts difficult. I couldn't see any saturday/sunday jobs either. I've sent off my CV. I figure it is worth a try.

You're a motivated person and not lazy so I don't think having a second job will be too much for you - but I don't think this one sounds ideal, neither the hours nor the role itself. I'd suggest signing up with some temping agencies that deal with jobs like cleaning, kitchen staff, waitressing etc - that way you can pick up the odd shift here and there without having to commit to set hours and days, which will make it easier to fit around Rubic and your other commitments and not have to sacrifice sleep! I did agency work like that through uni and it's a good way to keep your funds topped up without running yourself into the ground. Cleaning jobs pay particularly well - especially on the weekend, you could be looking at £10 an hour on a Sunday...

As long as your young healthy and motivated to do it go for it. The hours are a bit naff but generally working 2 jobs includes early morning/late nights. If I had a car id work a second job for a few extra pennies but the bus service here is shocking.

newrider.com