second hand saddle, advice needed

Talibutts

Nov 1, 2010
Pie Land
I have sold a saddle on preloved, a barefoot cheyenne. Its about 3 years old and hardly used, it doesn't have any stirrup leather marks at all. The buyer asked over the phone the condition and I said it was like new.

The buyer recieved the saddle yesterday and immediately got in touch to say that some of the stiching was comming undone, her saddler would fix it for £25 and wanted me to send her a cheque.

I was quite shocked, I was totally unaware, and asked could she send me some pics of the loose stitching. She sent the pics straight away, the stitching that holds the pommel to the saddle has started to unpick.

I was completely unaware of this and offered to refund the money plus extra for her to send the saddle back to me. Now here lies the problem, she wants to keep the saddle and wants me to pay for the repair, I would rather have the saddle back, I already reduced it by £70 for her. I originally had the saddle up for sale at £300, it has been on a horse for a total of about 10 hours in the whole of its life.

Am I being unreasonable? Should I pay for the repair? Do I have any rights to have the saddle back? Payments were made through Paypal.

Since you have already reduced the saddle by £70 i would refuse to pay for the repair and say this to her. She has got a bloody good deal and think she is pulling a fast one!

Be careful though as she may tried to claim her money back through paypal, keep a record of everything, emails asking her to send the saddle back to you would be ideal.

Simply say, either send the saddle back and you will refund her money or she keeps it but pays for the repair herself as you already reduced it quite considerably anyway.

I suppose you learn the hard way, I really wish I hadn't bothered, but my daughter wants some hoof boots for her pony and the only way to afford them was sell the saddle!

I hate confrontation!:frown:

I disagree.

On occasions I have made a mistake I go out of my way to make good. Whilst it may seem like the buyer gets all their money back and are no worse off they'll have invested time in buying this and possibly passed up the chance to buy something else based on your description. They'll have been without a saddle for longer because of this too, i hate being without my saddle when its being altered. Also if I have to go to the post office it means I have to pay for parking as well. Besides, I'd have better things to do with my time and would expect a description to be accurate.

The buyer will certainly have suffered inconvenience that won't have been acknowledged or covered by offering a refund on return and could quite likely feel much aggrieved by the whole situation. I know i would.

Sorry OP, but I'm afraid I'm inclined to agree with Joyscarer here.

If I had been told a saddle was like new, and I received it with the stitching coming undone, I'd be rather peeved too. I wouldn't want the inconvenience of re-parcelling and taking it to the post office, and then trying to find another saddle.

And I know what a BAS*ARD of a job the last one we worked on was to re-stitch! (Exact same problem - someone sent it in for the pommel to be re-stitched back on!) Because it had been machine-stitched, one loose / broken stitch meant the whole lot started unravelling. Pain in the bum job! :(

Because we're a business, we lean more towards 'good reputations take years to build and seconds to destroy' so always see the customer right.

You've been very generous offering a total refund, but it might just be about the inconvenience for the customer too.

newrider.com