Second hand jacket for hunting?

Tharg

Aug 3, 2004
Ireland
Visit site
I`m going to try e-bay and write out notices looking for a second hand jacket.

What I`m clueless about is the sizing, am I ok if I just measure across the bust measure the shoulders and length of arm?. Is there a standard way of doing it, I want the jacket to look well but I definatley don`t want it to be too restrictive or short in length (somethings got to hide my arse!).

Thanks all, get yer thinking caps on;) .

Measure the biggest part of your bust. Thats basically the measurement you'll be given in most auctions.

The bust measurements equate to the following sizes

30 - UK 6
32 - UK 8
34 - UK 10
36 - UK 12
38 - UK 14
40 - UK 16
42 - UK 18

and so on. However, I wouldn't take that as true. For any jacket ask for the measurement around the widest part of the bust, and the length of sleeves/back or width of shoulders if you're tall/have fairly wide shoulders. Allow yourself a good inch to move in the jacket, so either take the measurements of yourself fairly loosely, or do it tight, add an inch and round up if needs be. :)

And just so your forewarned, there's a 34/36" ladies hunt jacket on ebay at the moment, but it has a pocket on the chest, so it's actually a mans jacket. Beware of that, and look for an hourglass shape. :)

best thing to do is to take one of your existing jackets that fits well and measure the chest underarm to underarm. If it measures say 18" across then you want a 36" chest jacket.

For the Irish users do you think it is worth while buying things from ebay UK (ebay Ireland is quite new and cr#p). Would like to buy nice black suede or leather half chaps as well as jacket.

I haven`t bought anything from ebay before, am I right in assuming that the trick is to wait until the final hour and then bid your way to glory?.

Last edited:
yes go to the UK website. The delivery may take a few days longer but not too bad. Also, there are lots of Irish sellers on the UK website.

As for when to bid then it does seem that most people wait until the dying minutes now.

Ebay rocks

Hi
I've used ebay many times to buy jackets to go hunting in. I've got some real bargains. If i were you I get a size to big anyway, you need layers on to go hunting in - gets a bit chilly.

Just email the seller and check that the jacket is made from 100% wool, otherwise you can end up with some really dodgy looking buys.

Abi

Abi B said:
Just email the seller and check that the jacket is made from 100% wool, otherwise you can end up with some really dodgy looking buys.

Also steer away from blue tweeds - you're far more likely to get a decent brown or green tweed. And if you're going for a plain jacket, navy does more for the complexion, but pure wool navy jackets tend to cost more, as all the showing peeps want them!

Lol, funny post :D Haven't a clue about sizing the jacket.
Don't really like ebay at all! Standard black suede half chaps are cheap, if you are lucky you'll find them for 12euro like I did. Price varies though, Usually around 17/25e.
I have to buy a new pair every year or so, because the zips break, and they don't clean up well!

Navy jacket is fine, and IMO looks better.

I'd avoid half chaps if poss, but perhaps try leather gaiters? Half chaps look like half chaps, but good gaiters look like long boots. :)

Half-chaps are good for hunting though, more grip, more flexibilty. 90% of people here wear them and keep their boots/gaiters for SJ. Leather gaiters get scratched up so bad, then they look worse then half-chaps!
Navy jacket is fine, traditional for women here supposedly.
Yeh Tharg that sounds fine.

newrider.com