Second hand harness, pictures

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
OK, so my ancient Preloved leather harness arrived today. It has previously been used on Fell and Dales ponies. It seems to be a nice old set of harness, very well used but in good nick, well stitched and with heavy brass fittings.

I whizzed over and did my best to put it on Ziggy working from first principles. He doesn't like new tack but was very tolerant because I gave him a huge heap of hay, so it was hard to get him to raise his head for the pictures :oops:

Anyway, here we go. These are unexpurgated, complete with errors, such as putting on the saddle the wrong way around:

Saddle corrected (I couldn't fit the breeching with it the wrong way round), breeching in place. The crupper strap is short, and it's on the last hole - this is the only area where the fit is obviously a bit tight.

Close up of the crupper, with Ziggy conveniently farting. I think it is a bit small

The breastplate, which doesn't look half bad

And this is as far as I could get working from first principles

There isn't a picture of the bridle because it seemed a bit small - the blinkers were particularly tight. Ziggy didn't like it and was glad to be rid of it. Would it be OK to teach him in his usual long reining bridle, without blinkers?

All views and suggestions welcome!

could do with another side on pic with all his tail tucked in properly I think that could be tweeked fine to fit. Looks a nice harness :)

Ashamed to say I am not sure what you mean @Gimp ... the crupper is attached to the breeching, and the backhand is a continuation of that strap if you see what I mean - One long strap goes from the breeching through the slot on the saddle and back to the breeching. It is adjustable but is on the biggest hole in these pics.

If it fits I will be very pleased, the lady charged me £100 including postage (it was a big heavy box!) and there are no worn dangerous-looking bits at all. The brass is lovely.

Reactions: Gimp
When you fit the crupper you always need to ensure that all the hair is through it, it can rub terribly if not. Its not fitted up snugly under the tail so hard to judge where it lays properly along the back/bum.

as for the sliding back band, on the saddle does the band run through ( slide) across the back of the saddle or is it fixed into one place. Ideally a sliding one is preferable for a 2 wheeled cart.

And yes, no blinkers is fine to ! alough not all horses will pull a carriage blinkerless, long reining without blinkers isnt an issue.

Oh I see! There is a little horizontal loop that it fits through, just below the little pommel-y thing on the back of the saddle. There is no scope for it to move from side to side.

I think I need practice in fitting a chrysanthemum tail through a crupper :oops:

I cannot help at all with the harness but can't resist saying how lovely it is to see a floofy Ziggy! He is so cute :):D

looks a nice good thick leather, is it English leather? looks in good nick!

If the blinkers are to tight it may let out on the buckle at the top of the poll, or if theres room to add a hole or two that should open the blinkers up a little to try

Nealas Is the same I gave up months ago! Anyway I have just told myself these greys like to be dun in the winter ;)
Neala is holding onto hers this year too but not Ross the grey at work I've been walking round looking like a sheep anytime I'm near him.

It looks like the back band ought to slide. The back band is the bit that goes through the pad over the top of the horses back and has the tug loops attached to it, then the belly band is attached to the back band and goes under the belly. So back band over the back attached to the belly band under the belly all the way round the horse and through the top of the saddle pad on its way. The girth is the bit that's attached to the pad itself and does up tighter.

The back strap is the one that attaches to the pad and then runs along his spine to the crupper.

Otherwise I think it is not English leather, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, looks like a perfectly serviceable set of exercise harness.

Reactions: Ruskii and Gimp
newrider.com