Scary story from today's news, with a happy ending.

OMG What an AMAZING story. How exhausting and terrifying. Lucky lucky horse to have such a brave and committed owner! And thank God the little girl and her pony were fine.

I could hardly read it, brought back some horrific memorys for me.

I very nearly lost Solomon when he galloped straight out of our fields, over a hedge and ditch and straight into a bog. Luckily we found him very quickly, but all that could be seen was his head sticking out of the bog. Was almost impossible to get out to him, but my lovely neighbour knew every tuft and turf of the bog and managed to lead me out to him, he was there from 12.30 lunch time until finally rescued at 5 o'clock tea time. And we were constantly stuffing bales of straw under his head to keep his mouth and nose above the water line.

Vet came with the fire brigade and wanted to put him down with a shot between the eyes!!! He was too wuzzy to attempt to get out to him so asked my neighbour to take the gun and do the job. Neighbour refused until we had exhausted all hopes of getting him out.

Anyway - after nearly drowning 2 of the fireman, my friend and myself, they eventually got ropes around him and dragged him out, by this time he was exhausted and vet said he wouldnt survive he was too far gone! (Please note this vet has never been near my horses since:devil:) I insisted he try something as Solly lay on the grass gasping. He gave him a jab of adrenalin, Solly's nose twitched and he snuffled at a blade of grass (once a greedy cob, always a greedy cob) Then he leapt to his feet and walked back up to the house without so much as a backward glance!

The fireman said that as they where reaching under to get the ropes around him , that he seemed to have his back legs caught on a bit of old submerged bog oak, we think that is the only thing that saved him as in that area of the bog, places are as deep as a house.

Probably one of the worst days of my horse owning life. You see-saw between total despair, heartbreak and horror as you watch your horse struggle and struggle with no chance of freeing themselves.

Sorry forgot to say - those firemen where some of the bravest people I have ever met, and the kindest, they refused to give in and just kept trying every way possible to get him out. My forever heroes.:smile:

That is an amazing story that makes you shudder, also brings back bad bad memories for me for when minne was stuck in the river rother when it was in flood and had to be rescued by the fire brigade...very scary:cold:

Oh god, those photos!!!

Both those stories are terrifying and heartbreaking. The feeling of helplessness would torture me.

Similar thing happened to me - but my husband not my horse - unconscious in water with horrific head injuries. I had to get in the water to hold his head out as I was too weak to pull him out. Water was 2 degrees. Fire brigade & Paramedics were BL00DY useless. More concerned about their own elfen safety than saving his life. A passer by pulled him free of the water but even then they wouldn't even approach him to give first aid till I had a total temper tantrum and literally dragged one paramedic down the bank to the ledge where he was lying. He lived to tell the tale.

Still all these tales of terror have had a happy ending :)

Oh how terrifying!
Contrasna, what a jerk that vet.

Just from a practical perspective: if you have a big rescue like that with helicopter on the scene, does the horse owner have to pay for it all?

Oh how terrifying!
Contrasna, what a jerk that vet.

Just from a practical perspective: if you have a big rescue like that with helicopter on the scene, does the horse owner have to pay for it all?

Well in my case they didn't have a helicopter available to help - even if you offer to pay all expenses yourself! But I did have to pay something like 1500 punts ( think about 1,000 sterling)for the help of the fire brigade - but I would have paid many, many times that to help him be rescued!:smile:

newrider.com