scary fillers

chess08

May 26, 2008
nottingham
Help!!!! i need some advice on how to get my pony over fillers. Hes fine over poles and spreads but i just cant seem to get him to jump over fillers. I've tried leading him over (he stops dead). I've tried loose jumping over them and he runs out and i've tried putting poles either side and riding him over and he just spins on the spot when we get there. Any advice welcome.i'm up for trying anything at the mo.thanks

Hello, I have the same prolem with my horse. What I do is either put the filler as the second part of a combination, either a double or related distance, so that we have a good rhythm, or put the filler at the side of the jump so that he can see it but doesn't have to jump it yet and then move it under it after he is jumping confidently. If he still doesn't jump it I usually then try and get a lead over it. Hope this helps.

i've already tried putting the fillers at the side of the jump and he doesnt notice them but as soon as i move them closer to the middle of the jump he refuses.thanks for that bit of advice i might try and and to the first bit and if that dont work then i'm stuck.

Are you sure that your confident?! Not having a go, but when my horse wouldnt jump fillers i blamed it on him, but really i was holding him back, and stopping him jumping. Make sure your not leaning back or pulling on the reins. And that your very positive, and encourage him all the way to the jump. Remember 99% of the time its the riders fault. :)

yes am i'm confident on him,i broke him myself with no help and i've taught him to do just about anything but this is really bugging me now. He can jump tyres and solid fences but put him infront of a coloured filler and he dont want to know.i would understand him doing it if i was new to riding and jumping but i'm not.if anyone can give me any more ideas it would really help.thanks

I finally did it,thanks to horsey gals advice i put the filler on the last part of a double and he refused once,made him second time and he flew over til altho he did jump it alot higher than he should of but he did it :) i'm soooo proud of him today.thankyou everyone for your advice.

thanks for that advice but thats where they are anyway so he has seen them, i was even putting them in the middle of the school and making him walk,trot thru them so he knew that they wernt going to get him,but then hes the type that thinks theres monsters in the hedge.lol.i will keep doing little exercises tho to keep him thinking as i've got a show coming up in the next 2 weeks so mite just take him in for fun and try it,not bothered about competing yet.

i tried that a few weeks ago and he just spun on the spot just before take off and unseated me,since then i've kept trying and i've had help from the yard owner and slowly but surely hes coming round to the idea that he has to jump them not just go round them (hes a clever little pony that looks for ways out).his first attemp was more of a cat leap and me being left behind a little,but after he jumped it once i took him over another 2 times and hes starting to use himself more over them so hopefully his fear of them may me going away,weather permitting at the weekend i will try and post some pictures of him jumping poles and then the fillers so you can see for yourself his reaction to them.thanks everyone for your feedback its nice to know help is here if need be.x

i have this same problem with my 17hh ShireXTb, will jump poles but not fillers. What i've been doing with him - and it seems to be working - is having it flat on the floor so he walks over and gets treats on the other side until hes confident to jump it free school (i cant lunge, bad ownership i know lol) I may try th double thing so im glad you posted this :D, however i think i may end up on the floor lol

good luck

you'll have to post some pics,i'll do the same once i get someone to do them for me.good luck in trying,i was jumping again today and we only had 1 little mishap but he still went over it.

If you are still having problems, you could have a friend ride an experienced horse over the filler to shw the horse there is nothing to be scared of, or you can have a friend/instructor on the ground. Sometimes a view from what he is doing from the ground can be helpfull.

newrider.com