Scared of the little ponies!!!

minkersmum

Aug 4, 2009
Scotland
I help out with rda at my local RS and sometimes i brush and tack up some of the ponies that are being used. The bigger ones are always ok but honestly the little ponies, a couple of them scare the hell out of me.

I always approach them trying to give off the air of being a leader, not pooping my pants and approach saying nice stuff like 'hello Tom my lovely boy' but REALLY it is not working.

Today i had to go get my friend who works there and admit i'm actually scared to go near this particular one!!

He pull faces, tries to nip, ears tight back and today had his leg up threatening me. Well it worked i was out of there:eek::eek:

Honestly though its embarassing. When my friend appeared she goes in, his ears are up all nice and she tacks him up no bother. I am at other side behind the stall partition (where its safe!!) and he is fine, but when i put a hand onto him to say 'see its fine' the ears and face get pulled again.

What can i do?? I am quite embarrassed that he intimidates me like this but he does.:(

Help!

I help out with rda at my local RS and sometimes i brush and tack up some of the ponies that are being used. The bigger ones are always ok but honestly the little ponies, a couple of them scare the hell out of me.

I always approach them trying to give off the air of being a leader, not pooping my pants and approach saying nice stuff like 'hello Tom my lovely boy' but REALLY it is not working.

Today i had to go get my friend who works there and admit i'm actually scared to go near this particular one!!

He pull faces, tries to nip, ears tight back and today had his leg up threatening me. Well it worked i was out of there:eek::eek:

Honestly though its embarassing. When my friend appeared she goes in, his ears are up all nice and she tacks him up no bother. I am at other side behind the stall partition (where its safe!!) and he is fine, but when i put a hand onto him to say 'see its fine' the ears and face get pulled again.

What can i do?? I am quite embarrassed that he intimidates me like this but he does.:(

Help!

He's got your measure, TBH unless you can go in with an air of authority and mean it the little devil will always have the upper hand, they do it cause they can, give em an inch and they always take a mile:)

He's got your measure, TBH unless you can go in with an air of authority and mean it the little devil will always have the upper hand, they do it cause they can, give em an inch and they always take a mile:)

So how do you get the upper hand?

I ignored him at first and when he tried to nip me i verbally reprimanded him but then when i went to move him over to do the other side he threatened to kick me so i bottled it. Does it hurt like hell if they do kick you???

Unlikely they will actually kick you I find. Unless you SERIOUSLY cheese them off. Thats why Silver ahs gotten away with being a mardy git for so long!!!!!

Once I realised she wasnt going to hurt me, she couldnt get away with it! You just have to get on with it. If they lift feet up, push bum away from you, if they nip either ignore or move forehand over - not not pushing head away but push shoulders away. If you can control the movement of their feet, you are the leader. That is what the herd leader does. You may find you get strops and tail swished and glared at, but keep the pressure (with hand) on until they submit and move away from you. If they ignore, ask more firmly. Same if you cant get their head - if they spin on you, push their bum away until they get so fed up of being moved they let you do what you want :p:D

So how do you get the upper hand?

I ignored him at first and when he tried to nip me i verbally reprimanded him but then when i went to move him over to do the other side he threatened to kick me so i bottled it. Does it hurt like hell if they do kick you???

Yep just as much as a big one, only trouble is depending how small is wether you see it coming or not! You will have to hold your nerve and stand your ground, do you have him on halter and tied up? if so then if you are going to move him over you should be out of the way of the biting end, by threatening to kick is he lifting the leg but not following through, if so and you are backing off then he's won doens't have to do any more... next time he does make sure you are at the side of him when you ask him to move over and if the leg goes up then a sharp No and a dig in the Ribs at the same time with an elbow might just shock him into thinking twice , you should be out of the way of contact so don't step back and continue with the asking to move over, my little sod does it with anyone who don't know him as hes not over fussy at being pampered, hes never actually kicked anyone in his life and not got a bad bone in his body but he knows how to use his body and size is no object hes only 9hh, may take a few times but be consitent, he has to learn to respect you........ remember though safety first and make sure you are not in a position when you ask that he can get you - once he realises you are not going to be messed around he should be fine.

do let us know how you get on

thing is i can't get in at the side of him which is why i am trying to move him over. Maybe i should stand behind stall side and push his bum over, that way i am out of kick range(i hope). I haven't heard of him kicking but i know he does bite as he has bitten me before when i was just satnding beside him minding my own business, not even touching the little goat!!

I will try and tackle him again tmrw.:cool:

Some pony and person combinations just won't work - same as you don't like everyone you meet, so it could be that he'd just never react to you as he does to your friend. But he should still be able to treat you with respect!

I'd actually suggest working with him in a bigger area rather than a stall (I'm assuming a stall is somewhere he's tied and there's only just enough room for you to work round him).

Can you get him in a stable or something, basically an enclosed space that's big enough for both you and him to move about, then don't tie him up, but hold his lead rope. Lead rope is nice and slack while you're doing something and he's behaving and it's long enough so you can groom all of him and hold it. But if he threatens to kick, you can pull his head round towards you, which will move his quarters away from you so you immediately feel safe. Thing is, you haven't moved away from him so you don't feel he's moved you - you've moved him which puts you in the stronger position. Then you do a bit of work asking him to step back or away from you or turn, just for a minute or so. When he does it nicely, he gets a thank you and a pat and you go back to grooming. Repeat as necessary - probably quite a lot at first but he'll soon get the message that you're in control and him threatening leads to you nicely and quietly putting him back in his place.

Amee Claire1605's little pony can be a bit of a mardy git on the ground. She will still not let me catch her (if she's out with the boys) and today I went into her section to give her a carrot and scratch her and she wasn't having it! Grumpy girl. But Claire is fine with her and can walk up to her and pet her, I think it's a combination of authority and also them knowing you and being comfortable with you, Amee's a lot more relaxed when I handle her now than when I first started doing stuff with her a few months ago.

Only suggestion would be that maybe you're going in too soft with all the 'lovely boy' soft stuff (just assuming from what you say), try going in with a loud, firm 'GOOD boy WELL done and STAND' etc, being very authoritative. Some ponies don't like a gentle touch and need to be put in their place, without being rough of course but need a firm hand.

Need a little direction :p hehe. It depends on thier personality too. The only way i can reprimand rascal is either sharp claps near his face to make him jump and pay attention but he is totally fearless and isn't worried by it, nr pushing him off to his naughty corner where he sulks lol

Sorry, no advice but the image of your head popping over the stall partition while your friend takes care of a eeny-weeny pony just makes me laugh!! :D

It is all quite hilarious!! I was giggling to myself that despite being a 'big woman' this little kids pony scares me. Honestly made me think of having a vicious dog at the end of a lead.

My friend is very calm and friendly. Even yesterday she was feeding another grumpy pony who was having words with its neighbour whilst friend was still in stall. If that was me i would have raised my voice slightly and said 'cut it out' the way i would with my kids but my friend just very quietly said 'enough, you two' but then she has known and worked with them for 7 years, i know this will make a huge difference.

I will see the other grumpy git this morning and wil see if i feel any braver!!

Good luck - show your authority, look forward to a sucessful report tonight it's all in your hands, failing that have a quiet word in his ear about what you will do with him if he don't behave;)

Lol, I couldn't help but grin either...........sorry..........

They can be such 'little gits' lol, and FAST:p

I remember when I looked at Egbert Macmuffin and exclaimed how 'cute' he
was his Owner saying to me 'please don't be fooled, he can be so 'full on'
its unbelievable, hence just having him gelded':eek:

I have had a few 'moments' with him, lol, but on the whole I haven't really
seen that side of him and his manners are exemplary, but he hasn't been
allowed to show that side either, because I have remained very calm and
quite firm.

You have two choices, lol, do THREE other ponies to this one and stay
busy so you don't have to deal with him OR show the little Man you
mean business:p

newrider.com