Scared horse, what to do?

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Long post, sorry! Virtual coconut slices for anyone who finishes (the real ones are in the oven as I write).

Ziggy and Mattie live out in a 4 acre sloping field. At the bottom of the slope is the field shelter, about 3 metres from the fence. Beyond the fence is a rough/boggy woodland, where nobody goes at all normally except me and my OH in the summer to walk the dogs.

Every day when I appear in the field the boys come straight down to me. I generally feed Ziggy in the shelter and Mattie outside so that Ziggy doesn't bully. Today I came and they stood at the top of the field and snorted. I picked up the feed buckets: Mattie started to come down, but Ziggy, who is top horse, stamped, snorted really loud (I haven't heard such a loud snort before) and cantered around, then went on staring at something in the wood, whereupon Mattie stopped.

I could hear a dog barking in the wood, but it didn't seem to be anything to worry about. Ziggy thought otherwise though. I made their feeds but still they didn't come. In the end I went to get them, and Ziggy thought twice about letting me catch him but soon came to me so I put his headcollar on to lead him down. Mattie followed as he always does.

Ziggy did NOT want to walk down that field. We went a step at a time. And even though his feed was in the shelter he couldn't stay there - a snatched bite and he was heading for the door at full canter, though he respects his halter and stopped when I held him.

In the end I let them both eat outside. Mattie stared into the wood the whole time. I looked and saw a little loose dog, a semi-feral half Jack Russell who lives on a local farm but spends all his time trundling around our area doing whatever semi feral dogs do. He saw me and ran away.

The moment they were finished eating Ziggy cantered away up the field. I was still really puzzled, wondering whether it was the shelter that was frightening him, so I went and caught him again (no problem) and led him down to the far corner, away from the shelter. Again he didn't want to come, stared and snorted the whole way down, but came because I asked, and stayed with me for a little while after I took his headcollar off before he cantered away up the field again.

When I left Mattie was grazing and Ziggy was standing at the highest point of the field, staring at the woods and snorting, utterly on the alert.

Could he really be so scared by just a loose little dog? Could the dog have come in and chased them? In which case why was Mattie not scared?

And was I wrong to lead him towards what scared him? I don't think I made anything worse, but I feel worried because he was so very anxious.:unsure:

Phew, marathon post! Virtual glass of fizz or dessert wine (au choix) to add to coconut slice for anyone who finishes.

Can't answer your question but my poppy sometimes takes fright at something at the bottom of the field, all the other ponies are ok but she wont go down there and if i make her she is all snorty then turns and charges back up! She makes the other ponies come too and they wont even eat their hay even although they are hungry (Poppy is boss). She does it in every field they have ever been in and only once in a blue moon so cant explain that either!

Harvey does this a fair bit....most of the time when there has been people shooting. Being a wooded area no-one goes in there is a good chance someone shoots there.

Ooh, interesting, hope it was a one off! Don't know what it might have been, wouldn't imagine it was the dog but I bet Ziggy looked pretty magnificent being all snorty and on his toes - that's why having a camera phone is vital!

I suppose the difference is that they would instinctivley run from something that is an unknown quatity, and thye cant in domestication. So they got themselves as far away as possible, and stood ready in defense for whatever had upset them.

I put mine in another field over summer and neither of them settled - almost like there were ghosts in the field!!!! Though her rugs/masks etc kept coming undone, so I suspect they too were being messed with.

thanks for the wine and coconut slice - very tasty :)

Maybe before you arrived the feral dog was involved in some rabbit chasing/ fox scaring bakking etc and there was a bit of commotion, which the horses could hear but not see, then the dog appeared, making them even more wound up?

Though I am sure sometimes mine invent gremlins just for the fun of it! They seem to love having an occaisional 'Oh-crikey-thats-scary-I'm-going-act-like-a-complete-idiot until-I-get-bored/tired' !! One will set it off, then others will join in if they feel like playing, whilst others just seem to say 'no thanks I going to sit this one out'

I think the fact he stayed a while after you took the headcollar off shows he has amazing trust in you and respects you. You showed him there was nothing really scary, but it was still fun to gallop to the top of the field!

I think its the having something going on in a place where nothing ever goes on thats the problem! Rosie is spookiest at one corner of the field - its all quite overgrown and there no visability onto that bit of track whereas all the rest of the way round you can see for miles. Its very rarely used but when it is people/dogs/horses just 'appear' without warning and it makes them all jump!
Im sure its a one off occurance, triggered by the dog. Trouble is once you've been made to jump and your heart starts racing its quite easy to stay wound up and I suspect thats what happened. Would put a fiver on him being fine today.
The fact he let you lead him around says a lot for your relationship and his trust in you. I beleive you earn trust brownie points by showing him there was nothing to be scared off

Thank you all, guys. He was better the next day, so I think you are right, it was a temporary thing.

I'm about to take him out in hand as a start to getting back into work, so fingers crossed!

Totally agree with whitby which - I think sometimes they invent little dramas and mysteries!!!lol, not saying that is what happened with yours, probably just the dog and the fact that it may have been scampering about, they are funny creatures aren't they?! Our two get that spooky, "oh my god what on earth is that" syndrome often - sometimes even just when they are in the arena (which is the most un-spooky place on earth!).

newrider.com