Sarcoids

Sunshine

May 25, 2020
Chesterfiled
Hi there I know nothing about sarcoids it very little so forgive my ignorance
My pony share a field that has several large sarcoids and a few are open weeping and constantly attracting flies.
Should I be worried about possible spread.. I was told that if a fly lands on a sarcoids then bites pony there is potential for spread ??

They do think there is a potential for transfer by biting insects, but how high it is isn't known. I do know I've been on yards with horses with sarcoids and not seen them appear in other horses, but that doesn't mean yours will be safe. Since there isn't much you can do about it apart from change yard - and a new yard could have the same - I'd suggest regular use of a good fly repellent an maybe a fly rug if you're that worried.

I read similar when I recently had a horse with a lot of sarcoids (they covered about a 6x9” area), and with my prone to anything, sensitive skinned, fly plagued mare, it was in the back of my mind, I just didn’t share brushes/creams/rugs between them and made sure she was as fly protected as possible. But actually (I didn’t think about it until later) my other pony has 2 tiny ones and he’s been with her 7 or more years and 1 of his is on his eyelid and he often rubs his face on her and she’s not got one yet so I stopped worrying so much ?

i'm potentially purchasing this horse, 9 year old TB. Is this a sarcoid? Located on his chest.

Attachments

• sarcoid.JPG
    sarcoid.JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 5
@Lahraib that isn't a question members on here can accurately answer, it's something for you to ask your vet about at the vetting or maybe send him this picture and ask if he thinks it's better to walk away now.

newrider.com