Sarcoids keep spreading HELP!

HLC

Jun 17, 2009
My daughters cob has sarcoids they are ok in the winter but are now spreading like wild fire, vets are not helpful and said leave them as they only come back!!! Anyone got any ideas, I have tried Blood Root paste from America - no good, just made it red and bulbous, He is such a good boy, I really want to help him clear these up, they are on his ear, legs and now appearing around his genitals :eek:. Any ideas welcome - would prefer the natural way. Thank you :eek:

I've heard a lot of good about Thuja, although doesn't seem to have done anything to Lance's (Grrrrrrrrrr bloody thing appears after a kick about 6 weeks ago and also appears to not only be growing but spreading). I'm using the cream + the homeopathic capsules.
Also Global Herds Sarc-Ex is supposed to help booster the immune system in a positive way (+they do a cream) ... this will be what I try next.
Apple Cider Vinegar has been said to help from within ....

Errrr and then when none of these have done anything but makes matters worse, the liverpool cream or surgery etc etc etc .....

How old is your horse?

I've gone the Liverpool cream route as I want rid definitively: haven't started it yet but will keep this updated. Change vets if he's saying leave alone but you're not happy with that solution. I take it the cob is coloured?

I've also hear good things about Thuja: would be interested to see how Lance gets on with this, Soot. Didn't know he had one.

Last edited:
Didn't know he had one.

It's very new :(.
He came in between 6 - 8 weeks ago with multiple war wounds. The wounds all scabbed up and the scabs dropped off, but near the top of his front left one scab did not drop off and started looking more and more like a warty sarcoid. Vet had a look said keep an eye ... Lance got kicked again, tearing the warty sarcoid in half (thanks, ponies) and now it's coming up nodular. It's very frustrating as it's in a prime location to get repeatedly kicked, scratched, bitten, etc ....

We're going Thuja for the summer and I might attempt surgery in autumn if the vets think they can remove it without cutting too far into the muscle. I'm very ****ed off about the whole thing!!!!

OK - this probably sounds silly but I am having great success with fluoride toothpaste!! I am putting that on and it seems to be shrinking them.

My mare is the same as yours in that in winter all is well then spring comes along and it is sarcoid season!! She has been much better this year as I have been feeding her Sarcex from Global Herbs over the winter and that seems to have calmed them down. Didn't find any success with Thuja or Apple Cider Vinegar but you may.

OK - this probably sounds silly but I am having great success with fluoride toothpaste!! I am putting that on and it seems to be shrinking them. .

What I was going to suggest. We've "killed" a good few with cheapo Tesco fluoride toothpaste. Sounds bonkers but it works well, if slowly. We have only used on the flat "warty" kind though not on nodular ones so have no experience myself with that.. MagicSix - does it work on all kinds ?

That and banding/liverpool paste (don't get the paste from your vet! Get it direct from the Liverpool Hospital - about 1/3 of the cost!) There is also a vaccine they use here which works brilliantly - not sure it is available there though :(

I think using stuff like blood root etc simply aggravates them, causing them to spread. I think if you are going to treat at all, treat aggressively.

I have just bought some thuja cream after hearing such good things about it but havent started to use it yet as Gizmo got laminitis before I could start. The vet says it shouldnt cause any problems but to wait a while before I start just in case. Luckily Gizmo only has one and it hasn't spread *touches wood* but I'm happy to let you know how it goes and interested in any other things that might work. Might be worth a mention that hubby has a wart on one of his fingers which I've been telling him to get treated for ages... since the thuja arrived he has been using that and it has certainly started to dry it up in the week he has been using it.

My daughters cob has sarcoids they are ok in the winter but are now spreading like wild fire, vets are not helpful and said leave them as they only come back!!! Anyone got any ideas, I have tried Blood Root paste from America - no good, just made it red and bulbous, He is such a good boy, I really want to help him clear these up, they are on his ear, legs and now appearing around his genitals :eek:. Any ideas welcome - would prefer the natural way. Thank you :eek:

At the risk of contradicting others here I am a little cautious of thuga and Liverpool treatments. I have not found any proper research studies of their effectiveness on sarcoids, only anectdotal evidence. This must be weighed against the fact that they do tend to flare up at certain times of the year then diminish slightly.

They can be spread by flies and touching or messing with them where cells from the sarcoids take hold on other parts of the body. For this reason the owner must maintain a high level of hygeine when attempting to treat them, as much for their own personal protection since the causes of sarcoid and their long term effect on humans is not fully understood. So latex gloves and hand washing is the order of the day.

The aloevera or flouride treatments sound as promising a treatment as any since they will help eliminate flies as a primary cause of spreading of sarcoid. Don't use the flouride paste near the genitals though, not to put a too fine a point on it it may hurt like hell. Same goes for around the eyes .... aloevera only around these sites.

Hope this helps.

Peter

What I was going to suggest. We've "killed" a good few with cheapo Tesco fluoride toothpaste. Sounds bonkers but it works well, if slowly. We have only used on the flat "warty" kind though not on nodular ones so have no experience myself with that.. MagicSix - does it work on all kinds ?

That and banding/liverpool paste (don't get the paste from your vet! Get it direct from the Liverpool Hospital - about 1/3 of the cost!) There is also a vaccine they use here which works brilliantly - not sure it is available there though :(

I think using stuff like blood root etc simply aggravates them, causing them to spread. I think if you are going to treat at all, treat aggressively.

I used this on Beau's fibroblastic one with no success, unfortunately.

You can go direct to Liverpool for the cream?! Bugger!

What I was going to suggest. We've "killed" a good few with cheapo Tesco fluoride toothpaste. Sounds bonkers but it works well, if slowly. We have only used on the flat "warty" kind though not on nodular ones so have no experience myself with that.. MagicSix - does it work on all kinds ?.

I find it works better on the warty ones but does work, if only a lot slower, on the nodule ones. Wish we had a vaccine over here!!

Sorry to hijack but my horse has little mark and the vet isn't sure whether it's a sarcoid or a scar. Would it hurt to stick the fluoride toothpaste on it anyway?

At the risk of contradicting others here I am a little cautious of thuga and Liverpool treatments. I have not found any proper research studies of their effectiveness on sarcoids, only anectdotal evidence. This must be weighed against the fact that they do tend to flare up at certain times of the year then diminish slightly.

Agreed although I am lucky that my vet is all for trying these things out and said that even if it doesnt work, the homeopathic treatments will not make them worse... only downside is you are putting off any other treatment while you try it out. I know people who have had success with the Liverpool Cream but the sarcoids did return... Maybe worth a try to get them under control and then if they do return try something else. I guess its just a case of trying different things as what works for one doesnt always work for another.

I've heard a lot of good about Thuja, although doesn't seem to have done anything to Lance's (Grrrrrrrrrr bloody thing appears after a kick about 6 weeks ago and also appears to not only be growing but spreading). I'm using the cream + the homeopathic capsules.
Also Global Herds Sarc-Ex is supposed to help booster the immune system in a positive way (+they do a cream) ... this will be what I try next.
Apple Cider Vinegar has been said to help from within ....

Errrr and then when none of these have done anything but makes matters worse, the liverpool cream or surgery etc etc etc .....

How old is your horse?

Hi He is 8 years old, there is so much to try, don't know where to start. Apple Cidar Vinegar - do you put that in the food?

I've had a few experiences of sarcoids. Friends horse had the cream from the vet. It had to be put on everyday for a week by the vet. It dropped of and left a small scar and never reappeared. A different friend had one above his eye. vet suggested surgery etc but he said as he wasn't insured it wasn't an option. they used Efudix cream and was charged a fortune for it only to find it at a 1/3 of the price online. It burn it off and left no mark.

My little mare had one on her belly. She had it banded and it dropped off never to be seen again:D.

Currently my friend youngster had what she thought was a wart but its a sarcoid. He's just had the cream treatment last week. Not sure which cream but had to be put on by the vet every 3 days a total of 4 times. Its burning it off and seems to be working.

I wouldn't leave Sarcoids, i'd have them treated.

my cousins horse is being treated by the vet as we speek with the liverpool cream, when she brought the horse she was told he had a wart removed from his chest but he has now had a sarcoid come up his front armpit, The vet was putting the second lot of cream on yesterday at the lower strength dose.He has had to be midly sedated before as the cream gives a burning feeling,but after yeasterdays 2nd treatment it started to bleed the side of where the sarcoid was as the cream had burnt his normal skin abit and the flies are now hanging around the area.

She was told by the vet that the one previous which had been burnt off is ok but doing it this way would still leave the roots inside,it only take the head off.

Aren't you supposed to keep going til the roots go also? Frankly, couldn't you use Bazuka the Verruca type stuff if all the Liverpool cream does is burn it off? Same principle-burning sensation?

good thread,my boy also has sarcoids he had one on his sheath that dropped of another one came that dropped off then came spring he had a few wart type ones come up, he was on sarc x last year had it for a good few months and did start to srink them,i stopped it but noticed a couple more come up so i just put him back on it and getting some thuja cream qand give that ago,also camrosa is good.

newrider.com