sarcoid

Cremola Foam

Jan 11, 2005
Scotland
Pedro has a sarcoid on his sheath which I discovered after I clipped him. Vet saw it and gave the sarcoid diagnosis and told me to keep an eye on it. Have to say I've been a bit lax! But checked it last night and it's grown and changed. It was originally a pink thing, now it's black and crusty and a bit bigger. Going to text my vet a picture of it today and I imagine she will want to discuss treatment. She spoke about Liverpool cream or removal when she first saw it.

Anyone have sarcoid experience? Are both options expensive? If I claim on my Insurance for one treatment will he be excluded for future sarcoid treatment if it comes back? (Vet told me I have a year from when the sarcoid is first noticed for the insurance company to cover it - sometimes I think insurance is just such a scam!)

I had a horse here from one of the outer islands so the vet could treat him. I think it was about 6 applications of a caustic ointment at increasingly longer intervals.

He had to be sedated for the last two applications as the ointment had eaten into the sarcoid and it nipped a bit.
I have no idea how the sarcoid is now, he's gone home. The vet was confident that in about 6 weeks from the start of the treatment it would be gone

January H&H has an article about a new treatment for sarcoids using Lasers. I haven't read it in depth yet but it sounds promising.

I agree about the insurance!

From the insurance point of view you may as well treat, & sooner rather than later. Even if you do nothing it will probably be on his vet notes now, and if that's the case the one year rule will still kick in because the insurance company will ask to see vet history.

Yeah, its on his notes. Vet said we had a year if I was going to claim. I'll speak to her on Monday. Probably better to treat sooner rather than later.

Liverpool cream is very powerful. Ziggy had a sarcoid on his leg treated with a less powerful cream, bloodroot or Newmarket cream, and it caused a lot of swelling and distress. I used Thuja essential oil on the sarcoid thereafter (we didn't finish the vet's treatment) and it cleared up fine and didn't come back last year.

My had quite a large sarcoid under her tummy it was a nobular type, the vet put a rubber band round the base to cut off circulation theory being it would drop off, however when she did it the entire thing exploded it was disgusting the band had secured on the skin left so there was no open wound it's healed and hasn't came back

UPDATE -

Well, on Tuesday I noticed that the sarcoid was starting to come away, took another photo and emailed it off the the vet. On Thursday it had fallen off, leaving a small red scab. Vet called me on Friday and said to keep on keeping an eye on it, as sometimes the top of them do fall off and then they can come back bigger than before, but hopefully that won't be the case here.

Jane&ziggy - I was wondering about thuja. I have a pot of the cream in my first aid kit as used it plus thuja tablets when Pedro had a touch of rain scald on his ears a couple years back. I was wondering if it worked for sarcoids also. (Need to check the pots use by date!)

No harm in trying the thuja. I use the essential oil neat. Ziggy tells me when he needs it because it's not appealing to horses, but he will take it by mouth when the horrid thing is surfacing.

I should say it makes no difference at all to the melanomas which, as a grey, he is beginning to develop :(

Andi had a sarcoid on her neck.
The vet gave me XTERRA paste and It was several applications but it did the trick.
The hair never fully grew back so you can see a little difference on that spot on her neck but it does not jump out
at you and she has never had another problem.

The cream used be £100 per tube and vet only administration. If its on your notes, even if you do not claim you may well be excluded.
Be aware also that everything on your notes up to the claim gets sent to the insurance.
So even if I didnt claim for my lameness, if I do claim later for something else it would pop up about the lameness. If they feel its related they won't pay out.
The cream burns off the sarcoid and quite often good healthy tissue, its used to treat cancer in us.

Sometimes sarcoids resolve themselves after which they appear to be immune. I hope this is what has happened with your boy. One of my mares developed one on her chest which I treated with Newmarket ointment. It worked a treat and hasn't returned so far after two years.

Is that the spice turmeric that you eat?? Makes you wonder what it does to your insides!.
Yes its the spice , i give it to Rummy, he is old and has arthritis and cushings, He gets turmeric, black pepper and flax oil mixed to a paste and added to his feed, it gets such good reports that it cant do him any harm to try(well I hope not?), i think he is a bit livelier but that could just be wishful thinking:rolleyes:
You can also get capsules now for us humans lol

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
newrider.com