Sarcoid on leg!

Kizza07

Manure Happens.
Apr 26, 2007
NSW Australia
Hi all,
Just have a quick question!

My friends new mare named Tara, has a rather large sarcoid on her off-side fore leg, on the pastern.

Do you think it will affect her?

She is 20 and has had it a long time - friend only just got her though!

Been riding her past week and there are no problems at all - so far!

So yeah - anyone had any on their horses legs? any experiences?

thanks
kizza

Hello! My old TB had a sarcoid on her chest/inside her leg. Just appeared one day didn't have any problems for about 3 years.... then others (a lot smaller) appeared and the big started to weep. Vet sedated her and removed it, then all was fine again!
Would get a vet to have a look at it, just because of the position it's in and the horses age.

Good luck
xx

i second emmathechief's comment. Although, my mare had sarcoids. Two on her ear and two on her neck/throat. We used Fuja cream (i think thats how its spelt) for a week or two but then we lost the cream so we left them, and now they're all gone :)

Hi Jumpingmad, my dad has a grey which seems to get them under his tail and one has appeared near him mouth. Can you tell me were to get this cream.

Id recommend liverpool cream, stinks and looks foul but did the job on my mares sarcoid after 2 applications :)

Wouldnt even know it had ever been there a week later! x

One of my older retired horses has one on his private parts of all places and it has never affected him (he was a 3* horse) at all. It has never bothered him although he is not keen on being cleaned there it has to be said, whether this is due to that or he's a prude I'm not sure but either way this has never affected his health or performance.

Good luck!

Id recommend liverpool cream, stinks and looks foul but did the job on my mares sarcoid after 2 applications :)

Wouldnt even know it had ever been there a week later! x

It was an expensive waste of time on Joy's :rolleyes:

Just go on what the vet says. Chances are they will recommend the Liverpool Cream but the advice came back to go for the lowest strength as the fewist number of apllications.

It didn't have any affect and I spoke again to the vet who advised I could get some more free of charge but I would have to pay for the vets visits and time which would really rack up.

It's not that I wouldn't spend where necessary because I do but it was a waste of time and it hadn't changed or grown so I am leaving it and keeping an eye on it.

There has been no change and it has been nearly a year now.

If it does change then I will reassess the situation but it isn't visable and it doesn't cause and discomfort to Joy so why but her through more pain? The vet agrees, if she didn't then I'd go with her advise :)

OK!! Thank you all so much for this information! I will be telling my friend to go and get some!
skewbald-mad - Where we live, there is no such thing as having a horse
vetted. You assess the horse yourself and then decide. Its
not the country because i know that you can have horses
vetted in Australia, but its basically the state i live in. There
is no such thing! Besides she paid $100 for the mare (they
knew the owner and the mare WAS skinny) Im not sure
what dollars is to pounds... But thats what we paid
in dollars! It was really cheap!

Thank you all again for this info! And if anyone wants to add - GO AHEAD!!! This is interesting stuff!
Kizza

newrider.com