Sarcoid misery

sweetheart8023

May 6, 2009
Hi all

Just wondered if anyone had any tried and proven methods for either getting rid of sarcoids or keeping them at bay.My stallion has them on his testicles and have them treated by vet but grew back ten times worse.Went down the route of getting him gelded as a option but vet advised against it as he said the scar tissue will cause more to grow.Can have them treated by the vet every year but just wondered if anyone had found any other treatment. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I am so sorry to hear that. You must be absolutely beside yourself :(

If you do a keyword search on here you'll see that many people have taken alternative options for treatment and had excellent results. I myself am doing the watch and wait option which is why I point you in the direction of the search box rather than naming any products.

Best wishes with finding your answers and getting your boy sorted.

Just add, and I don't mean to sound out of turn here, but I wouldn't breed from him if he has sarcoids :eek:

We used a homeopathic treatment for rosie which worked, but we stopped it and they came back within a year. They've been stable since though. It involved a small bit of the sarcoid being taken and prepared somehow and then made into pills which you then fed twice daily. Pricey but worth it :)

My mare had them all under her belly round her udders and stating down her legs, mostly little ones but a few bigger. I started feeding cider vinegar to help with the fly's and she now has none, they all dissappeared :D Cider vinegar is suggested in the treatment of warts and its about the only thing I changed at that time, got to be worth a try, I just add a glug to their feeds each day so not expensive and really does elp keep the flys off too :D

My horse developed a number of verrucous sarcoids over the last couple of years - a large one (it looked like an amaretti biscuit if that doesn't put you off amaretti biscuits for life...) just between his front legs near where the girth sits, a largeish one on his inside thigh, and two small ones on his sheath.

I know some horses are lucky enough to develop an immunity and the sarcoids resolve themselves, which is maybe what happened with us - but since about January, I've been giving him homeopathic Thuja pills (about £5 for a tube in big Boots stores) - two every day in his feed for five days, then seven days with nothing, then two every day for five days. Did this from January till April, when the large one in front of the girth dropped off, leaving no mark. The one on his inside thigh has completely shrivelled up and is about to drop off and the two on his sheath are now so small I sometimes can't find them.

Based on the first one falling off, I would guess he now has immunity so the others will resolve in time. I don't know if the Thuja worked or if his immune system did the job iteself, but that's what worked for me :)

I would imagine it would depend on what kind of sarcoid and what treatment they've already had.

I am so sorry to hear that. You must be absolutely beside yourself :(

If you do a keyword search on here you'll see that many people have taken alternative options for treatment and had excellent results. I myself am doing the watch and wait option which is why I point you in the direction of the search box rather than naming any products.

Best wishes with finding your answers and getting your boy sorted.

Just add, and I don't mean to sound out of turn here, but I wouldn't breed from him if he has sarcoids :eek:

I have never bred from him and never will but the woman i bought him off did i think she was very unfair and unkind.Thanks for the advise though

We used a homeopathic treatment for rosie which worked, but we stopped it and they came back within a year. They've been stable since though. It involved a small bit of the sarcoid being taken and prepared somehow and then made into pills which you then fed twice daily. Pricey but worth it :)

Hi please can I just ask were you got the pills made up?thanks alison

Our Hanovarian gelding Redford has them under his girth. He has nodular sarcoids, they just look like big bumps, but can grow, and the skin can split.

We've had him a year nearly, and when we got him, they were quite well flared up. They were the reason he was so cheap ;) (between a quarter and half of the typical price for a similar HWB). They didn't worry us because a friend has a WB with them too - and she used the "University of Liverpool Cream" which has cleared them up - it's not cheap, but it's a lot cheaper than lots of operations - the previous owner had spent nearly £3K on ops to remove them, and then sold him for £500 because he was going to cost her more as the insurance company wouldn't pay for any further treatment.

Since getting Redford, we noticed the lesions and the flies, so added garlic powder to his diet. That got rid of the flies, and what's more, the sarcoids have almost gone.

I'm not saying that it'll work with your horse, but it did for Redford.

Do a google on homeopathic therapy for equine sarcoids and you may find another site that details a therapy successfully used by someone else.

newrider.com