Saracens Re Leve opinions?

G

Had anyone tried Saracens Re Leve feed? Need a cereal free feed for my horse to give him sufficient energy for daily hacking and schooling. Really worried about any new feed fizzing him up, I'm aware this feed says low sugar but it does contain molasses! Has anyone had any experience with this feed?? Good or bad?? Thanks :)

I used it years ago to keep weight on a horse that fizzed up badly on many feeds & needed low starch & sugar because of a history of ulcers. It did help with his weight, was palatable & didn't cause problems. I also found Top Spec Cool Condition cubes were very good for him, & surprisingly he seemed to prefer them even though he normally preferred mixes if I could find a suitable one.

I used it years ago to keep weight on a horse that fizzed up badly on many feeds & needed low starch & sugar because of a history of ulcers. It did help with his weight, was palatable & didn't cause problems. I also found Top Spec Cool Condition cubes were very good for him, & surprisingly he seemed to prefer them even though he normally preferred mixes if I could find a suitable one.

Thank you for your reply, did you find it helped with his overall condition ie top line etc?

It certainly helped with his weight, his topline came from the amount of schooling we did so wasn't an issue. I found the cubes were better though.

Are you looking for weight, energy or topline? Oils are good for weight & won't make a horse fizzy since they're slow release energy, but to build topline you need a decent protein level & correct work so he uses it to build muscle where you want it. If you want to add a bit more sparkle then you probably need something with more fast release energy, but these are the feeds that are more likely to make him fizzy, particularly if you feed in excess of his needs. You might find it useful to have a chat with a proper nutritionist, both Saracen & Top Spec have given me useful advice in the past.

It certainly helped with his weight, his topline came from the amount of schooling we did so wasn't an issue. I found the cubes were better though.

Are you looking for weight, energy or topline? Oils are good for weight & won't make a horse fizzy since they're slow release energy, but to build topline you need a decent protein level & correct work so he uses it to build muscle where you want it. If you want to add a bit more sparkle then you probably need something with more fast release energy, but these are the feeds that are more likely to make him fizzy, particularly if you feed in excess of his needs. You might find it useful to have a chat with a proper nutritionist, both Saracen & Top Spec have given me useful advice in the past.

All 3 really! I know more schooling will build his top line too but wanted the feed to help as well. Wanting a bit more stamina so he's not so tired as quick, but don't want him to be silly or fizzy. His weight is okay but it's more his top line and energy not fizz

I feed Re-leve. I started with the Saracens endurance mix as, like you, I wanted something that would help with stamina, but when I rang their helpline they told me to go for Re-leve as my horse has Cushings and apparently cereal free is better, even though he's never had laminitis. My horse loves it, it is certainly helping with his weight and we are in training for a local race, so he's doing quite a bit of fast work. Prior to Re-leve he dropped weight really easily with an increased workload but he's looking great this time, although he does have two large feeds a day. He's not fizzy at all, in fact sometimes I wish he had a bit more fizz, but he isn't struggling with the work I'm giving him at all.

However, as I know to my cost, all horses are different and what is ok for my boy might send yours into orbit!

I feed Re-leve. I started with the Saracens endurance mix as, like you, I wanted something that would help with stamina, but when I rang their helpline they told me to go for Re-leve as my horse has Cushings and apparently cereal free is better, even though he's never had laminitis. My horse loves it, it is certainly helping with his weight and we are in training for a local race, so he's doing quite a bit of fast work. Prior to Re-leve he dropped weight really easily with an increased workload but he's looking great this time, although he does have two large feeds a day. He's not fizzy at all, in fact sometimes I wish he had a bit more fizz, but he isn't struggling with the work I'm giving him at all.

However, as I know to my cost, all horses are different and what is ok for my boy might send yours into orbit!

Brilliant thank you for your reply. I will give it a try and keep my fingers crossed!

I'm using it at the moment. Just getting to the bottom of my second bag. It hasn't made mine fizzy. I'm not feeding as much as the recommended amount. I swapped to try and get more foot growth, a few on here said try going cereal free.
I'm also still using with cool mix and linseed. I need to find something else cereal free to mix with the re-leve instead of the cool mix. I like to offer my boys variety but can't find anything at my local feed store. The re-leve is a mix but I think on its own with just the linseed it will be too plain.

newrider.com