Sainsburys xmas advert

In my opinion it's a very powerful piece, but personally I don't like it as an advert. The Christmas armistice has always highlighted the utter tragedy of war to me. I think this is a beautiful reconstruction of a significant event that absolutely must be remembered and from which we should learn. The short film that follows the ad (on YouTube), about the story behind the advert, is really informative and appropriate in my opinion. However, I'm just not comfortable with it as an advert for a supermarket at Christmas. I feel that if Sainsbury's felt so strongly about sharing/remembering, they could have funded this as a short documentary and then had another ad as their 'Official Christmas Advert'. As it stands, it makes me feel like they are 'cashing in' on the emotional impact World War I has, particularly this year.

I would probabley feel the same if they hadnt done it alongside with the Royal British Legion. and have supported them for 20yrs. I read they made £4.5 million for them last year. I dont see them really as cashing in and they will always be my fave supermarket !

Absolutely agree that the collaboration with the British Legion makes a difference. I too like Sainsbury's as a supermarket - they don't seem to be going for world domination like some others:rolleyes: I suppose that if it makes people stop and think and raises money for charity at the same time, it's a good thing. It certainly raised mixed feelings in me but it's better than the purely 'money grabbing' ones of the others.

Reactions: Gimp
I think I agree with Em. I don't like it as an advert. I think it might have done better as a mini documentary... how many people will only watch the advert and maybe not see the rest of the extras on youtube.

I don't particularly like any Christmas adverts though because I'm a scrooge and it is still NOVEMBER! :p

I do like sainsburys (even after the "let's get all our customers to spend an extra 50p" incident - let's face it we are kidding ourselves if we think that shops don't do things like that!) however I rarely shop there anymore as I feel it is too expensive. I usually go to Aldi.

I think I agree with Em. I don't like it as an advert. I think it might have done better as a mini documentary... how many people will only watch the advert and maybe not see the rest of the extras on youtube.

I don't particularly like any Christmas adverts though because I'm a scrooge and it is still NOVEMBER! :p

I do like sainsburys (even after the "let's get all our customers to spend an extra 50p" incident - let's face it we are kidding ourselves if we think that shops don't do things like that!) however I rarely shop there anymore as I feel it is too expensive. I usually go to Aldi.

Is Aldi a lot cheaper? I really don't know what to think, we have a Lidl in the nearest town but I've not tried it for a main shop. Is Aldi stuff okay quality wise on things like loo rolls etc? Or are they branded? Sorry for all the questions!

I find Aldi much cheaper. I have an asda, sainsburys and morrisons near to my flat too but I'd much rather go to Aldi. Loo roll has been fine (better than the cheapy budget supermarket range - although I think they have that too!). Quality wise I do think that they've done a lot to bring the quality up. The fruit and veg lasts longer than it used to. There are the odd few things I just can't get in there, like wholewheat pasta, but doing the bulk of my shopping there I know I probably save about £50 a month minimum. Just don't look at the special buys etc!

Is Aldi a lot cheaper? I really don't know what to think, we have a Lidl in the nearest town but I've not tried it for a main shop. Is Aldi stuff okay quality wise on things like loo rolls etc? Or are they branded? Sorry for all the questions!

I love aldi ! They do a pulled pork joint for £2.99 ! It is delicious ! I also really like the aldi super 6 offers . I know it varies from town to town but our local aldi's fruit & veg has always been spot on. Its far better than Tesco (which seems to go off in 48 hours)

I have no complaints about Aldi at all ! I have never shopped in Lidl or netto. The latter has just opened a store not too far away (along with a sainsbo's superstore which is due to open next week). I will be going to both to see what they are like :)

Reactions: Rubic
Im not much of a fan of lidl, the ones I've been in always feel a bit grubby :eek: but I like aldi, I think it's also cheaper because the range in aller there is less impulse buying :)

Im not much of a fan of lidl, the ones I've been in always feel a bit grubby :eek: but I like aldi, I think it's also cheaper because the range in aller there is less impulse buying :)
Yeah I have to say I'm not keen on Lidl, I agree about the grubby feel! There's on very close to me actually, I always forget about it because I never go!

I'm still on the fence about Aldi, their fruit and veg is OK but I've found their meat to be awful and still go to my butcher for that. Still to find any dairy stuff I like, can't stand the yoghurts. Some of their own brand tinned stuff is OK but I can't ever see myself shopping there full time, mainly because I loathe food shopping and prefer to do it online!
Out of all the shops that do online shopping, Sainsbury's always works out cheaper.

I'm still on the fence about Aldi, their fruit and veg is OK but I've found their meat to be awful and still go to my butcher for that. Still to find any dairy stuff I like, can't stand the yoghurts. Some of their own brand tinned stuff is OK but I can't ever see myself shopping there full time, mainly because I loathe food shopping and prefer to do it online!
Out of all the shops that do online shopping, Sainsbury's always works out cheaper.

Really? I buy their chicken all the time and it has been lovely also bought some beef mince for cottage pie and had some on Thursday and I couldn't tell the difference from the stuff I'd used before. I know in the Scottish stores they have a lot of Scottish products, meat in particular, so I wonder if it is supplier related? I also buy their Greek yogurt (low fat and normal) and both have been just as nice as the stuff I used to buy from Asda.

I'm a bit fussy with meat anyway, we did a big shop at Aldi once and most of the meat I bought is still in my freezer! We had some steaks and they were so grizzly and chewy, even OH who is a human dustbin won't eat them again. Their chicken is OK but full of water so I tend to stick to the market for meat.

I'm a bit fussy with meat anyway, we did a big shop at Aldi once and most of the meat I bought is still in my freezer! We had some steaks and they were so grizzly and chewy, even OH who is a human dustbin won't eat them again. Their chicken is OK but full of water so I tend to stick to the market for meat.

I've not had their steaks. I find the opposite with their chicken though, the breasts seem to stay about the same size when they are cooked, the one I get from Asda always shrink. I can't stand the smell of butchers so I am stuck with supermarket meat really!

Haven't watched the advert on YouTube, only on the TV. I find advertising interesting at the moment as I am on an advertising and society course.
Adverts predominantly are done to get our attention, the ad has done just that, its started a thread.
The Meerkats ad is another example.
Sainsbury made the biggest loss last year if what was on the news was anything to go by. They are more expensive but companies like Lidl are German I believe and Ssinsbury is English? Cheaper to import?

newrider.com