Safety Stirrups

xysabelx

Feb 8, 2009
What is everyones opinion on safety stirrups (the kind the with elastic bit on the side) ?

I used to think they where great, and my share pony has them, but yesterday my friend was riding her, and Mollie (pony) swerved to the side, the stirrup snapped, and my friend fell off.. So i dont really know what to think anymore ?

They're okay for children, but were never really designed for adults :eek:

If you must have safety stirrups then you could try the bent arm ones (with the bump facing forward - the amount of riders I see now with them facing back, thus defeating the safety aspect ;) )

OR invest in some sprenger typre ones with the flexible arms :)

Peacocks are fine if they are the correct fitting

I've seen a number of kids still dangling cos the stirrup is too narrow

plus you do need to replace the leathers about once a year and the rubbers about every 6 months otherwise they stretch and ping off at inappropriate times!

For adults I prefer bent iron

We have bent's for our daughter but she can't get used to them so we are sticking with the peacock at the mo

I have some vague recall that you shouldn't jump in peacocks - but I could have dreamnt that! :eek:

Noo, get sprenger bow balance ones instead:D

They keep your foot in them really well, but slip out easily when you're falling due to the shape (i've tested this out three times in the last week!:D)

great stirrups ;) I don't really like the peacock safety ones - feels like they'll snap.

Noo, get sprenger bow balance ones instead:D

They keep your foot in them really well, but slip out easily when you're falling due to the shape (i've tested this out three times in the last week!:D)

great stirrups ;) I don't really like the peacock safety ones - feels like they'll snap.

Yeah thats exactly what happened yesterday, tats why im wondering :rolleyes:

dont like safety stirrups - the ones with the elastic loop coz my friend hunted in them last year and oen of his bits came off and so eh had to hunt with half a stirrup - went home eventually i just dont think they're safe they never break when they're meant to and break when you dont want them to like jumping or up the gallops. i never ride in them now. would rather have sprenger stirrups but mine are bog standard ones and tbh if they are the right width they are safe enough anyway. also dont like those mountain horse ones with the grippy treads coz i know someone whos boots didnt release from that and they really hurt themselves.

My favourite topic

After trapping foot go gate and stirrup closed my foot so couldnt release it, peacocks i dont touch, yes is weight limit not meant for adults.
Watched kid dragged across showground bent leg i dont touch either!
I use endurance cage safety and barnes buckle. Worth the money as whole stirrup leaves horse with your foot. Similar gadget to what side saddles have.

Peacock safety stirrups are only designed for children/adults up to about 11 stone, and they have to be the right size for the rider's boot or they won't work properly. If I had a quid for every adult who came into our shop wanting 5" or 5.5" Peacocks I could afford to make the flippin things, lol!

Bent leg irons are obviously less likely to trap your foot, and the Sprenger style stirrups are pretty good too (although they are NOT safety stirrups and you shouldn't rely on them working as such). For safety, imho the best bet for an adult is the Barnes.

Second all the comments about peacock irons, I always though they are for children only and are much less reliable to take an adult's weight.

I have the Sprenger Bow Balance and I have had two unscheduled dismounts and my feet came out both times. I think one thing is to make sure the stirrups are the right size for your boot. If I remember correctly there should be about a 1/2 inch gap either side of your foot to allow the foot to release.

There is also the quik release one or something one, bit like they use for side saddle. I do also have the barnes buckle now as well :) , you only need to get dragged the once and you S**T yourself!!! I was only mounting for those who say i rarely fall off, no but you get on though:eek:

newrider.com