Safety Stirrups

which treeless did you end up with LF

Libra HackAbout but can't comment too much on it at the moment as haven't tried it on Zeb yet as he had a sports massage at the end of last week so I wanted to wait until this week to try it on him. Looks nicely made though and I can see the concept behind it. Also doesn't look too bulky..have sat on it on a kitchen chair :eek: and it seemed nice for me. Have also got the reccommended girth and am buying the recommended pad, even bought treeless stirup leathers...just forgot I don't actually have any stirrups:eek:

I use caged stirrups, either flex rides or soft treads, also used icelandic safety stirrups.

Does the hackabout have bars or rings? if it has bars you would probably be able to get away with standard irons:)

I use caged stirrups, either flex rides or soft treads, also used icelandic safety stirrups.

Does the hackabout have bars or rings? if it has bars you would probably be able to get away with standard irons:)

hi, It has bars so yes you could use normal stirrups. As I don't own any stirrups anymore (mine went with Lacey when she was sold) I would like to buy some. Ideally safety ones though, as Zeb is being re-backed. I don't know much about caged stirrups, what benefits do they have? Can they be more unsafe? (thinking foot getting trapped in them.)

We use daps stirrups, which are similar to caged ones for RDA, and they are recommended for use by the RDA so guessing they are very safe. I personally hate riding in them, but they are supposed to be safer as your foot can slide out straight away.

We use daps stirrups, which are similar to caged ones for RDA, and they are recommended for use by the RDA so guessing they are very safe. I personally hate riding in them, but they are supposed to be safer as your foot can slide out straight away.

thanks...do you know of where sells them/ where I can see a pic?

caged stirrups stop your foot getting caught in them, so unlike normal stirrups where your foot can slide through, its not possible with caged stirrups.

matrix are stirrup treads that fit into normal stirrups to make them into caged stirrups.
I personally really dislike toe stoppers, felt like I couldn't get my feet in them.

The icelandic stirrups are double bent, but they have a turned top so your leathers lie straight.

icelandic stirrups
http://www.talli.com/Icelandic-stirrups.jpg

matrix treads
http://www.fasttackdirect.co.uk/images/products/SH674A.jpg

I like the look of the Icelandic stirrups (but they sound expensive??). Would a simple bent leg stirrup work just as well? Not too keen on the caged/toe stoppers as I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable in them but then I have got HUGE feet for my height:eek:

Dapps are slightly different from toe stoppers, you can get more foot in them, I have a pair of those kicking about somewhere,lol.

I have an extra pair of icelandic stirrups that I don't use if you are interested:)

I've got the Mountain Horse SCS3 safety stirrups.
I'm very pleased with them so far, but have never had to use them in anger yet ;)

Dapps are slightly different from toe stoppers, you can get more foot in them, I have a pair of those kicking about somewhere,lol.

I have an extra pair of icelandic stirrups that I don't use if you are interested:)

I've got the Mountain Horse SCS3 safety stirrups.
I'm very pleased with them so far, but have never had to use them in anger yet ;)

thanks, I'm still on the look out as No Angels Icelandic Stirrups were unfortunately too small, although none the less a very kind offer to sell.

I'm hoping to NOT try out the safety aspect in a hurry:p will google what they look like.

I use Heather Moffet Stirrups and Cashel stirrup covers. Does triple duty.. my feet can't go through the stirrup, keeps my feet warmer in the winter and since I ride through heavy brush..keeps tree limbs and such getting caught in the stirrups.

You can sort'a see how they are set up here.
saddle4.jpg

medyfrajune08asmall.jpg

newrider.com