safe horsebox

IrishDQ

Mar 14, 2006
Ireland
I've been loaned a rather old horsebox and was wondering is there anything I can do to test the stablity of the floor? It seems ok but it's made of wood like the sides and the roof is a bit leaky. :confused:

Is the floor covered in rubber? If so, lift it (if you can) & have a really good look at the floor, check for any bits that look soft/discoloured/rotten. If you can't lift the rubber you'll need to walk about & see if there are any bits that feel soft/springy. Then get some tarp & a torch, lie on you back & have a really good prod and poke about underneath. The floor ought to be 2 layers of wood (it's usually marine ply). I'd get any bits that look like they are deteriorating replaced, it's not worth the risk of your horse sticking its foot through. If you're not confident doing this yourself, find out who in your area maintains horseboxes & see if they'll check the floor for you.

ditto the above, use a screwdriver to poke with!

Also check the condition of all the metal frame underneath, again a good poke with a screwdriver! Esp along the edges where an 'L' shape of metal runs along and holds the bottom edge of the sides and the edges of the floor.

Thanks, it's not covered in rubber, it's just wood. will have to have a poke at it! the metal frame seems fine. Luckily when I need to use it, it's only going to be a 2 mile or so journey being pulled at a snails pace by a tractor.

Be very very careful - no matter how slowly you are going, the injuries that can happen can be horrendous. Get someone with a bit of mechanical knowledge to have a wee check at the axle etc and really set about the floor. Its not expensive to replace the floor (or even just put another floor on top) to be on the safe side.

If the roof is a bit leaky you can virtually guarantee there will be rotten bits in the floor where the water has come in.

Thanks. I know of a man who's daughters pony's leg went through the floor and he had to be put down hence my paranoia! Would putting down new wood on top of the old floor solve the problem or would it have to be replaced properly? It's not my trailer, only a loan, so I can't really mess with it too much.

newrider.com