Saddles for Older Riders?

It seems im
Useless at typing though, most things I write I go back and alter so please bear with 😂

I find I don't have anywhere supportive to throw my body.
What I remember from riding as a child and from studying the instruction book as an adult beginner is that one doesnt need the neck of the horse MaryP. One's head and shoulders are to the right (off side) of the horse, balancing the weight of one's legs and hips on the near side until one slips to the ground. One is pretty much lying across the saddle,

What I remember from riding as a child and from studying the instruction book as an adult beginner is that one doesnt need the neck of the horse MaryP. One's head and shoulders are to the right (off side) of the horse, balancing the weight of one's legs and hips on the near side until one slips to the ground. One is pretty much lying across the saddle,

While you aren't leaning on the neck it does make a difference having something there when leaning forwards enough to throw your leg over a high cantle. A smaller pony can feel like there is nothing there at that point, more so if it has a low carriage, and that isn't a good feel particularly if you've been used to a big horse with loads of front! Even the wither feels too close to put a hand on, and you don't so much slip to the ground as find it's there straight away!

Reactions: Mary Poppins
That might well be the 'correct' way to dismount and children are no doubt much more flexible than myself. All I know is that paradoxically it is far easier to get off a big horse than it is to get off a smaller pony. With Harry I don't need to lie across the saddle and drop down, the floor is right there and not much dropping is required. I miss Ben's big neck, I always felt so safe and secure with him. I do feel safe on Harry but there is far less to hold onto.

Reactions: Huggy and carthorse
newrider.com