Saddler's report. I was quite happy, what do you think?

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
My new saddler came today. She was only half an hour late, not bad for a saddler ;).

She was nice, businesslike, helpful, easy to talk to, and Ziggy liked her. She wrote me a report, which is new for me, my old saddler didn't bother. She checked Ziggy's back and said it was in good shape (my RI checked it on Monday too and she agreed) but she sucked her teeth at the saddle. Here's what she said:

"Saddle hasn't been used for a few weeks as he has been unhappy and turning away when saddle seen. Current plate blue (m/w), flocking down n/s front and o/s rear. Flocking very flat through centre both sides, more so o/s. Saddle bridging both sides & blocking shoulders. He drops off behind both shoulders, more so n/s. He throws saddle heavily right, currently girthed point & 3rd both sides.

Gullet plate changed to orange (xw) and flocking levelled & flocked throughout centre. Contact much better & fluffy half pad also fitted to help lift the saddle our from behind both shoulders. Girth 2nd and 3rd straps both sides, n/s balance strap used."

Ziggy got progressively happier throughout the fitting, which was a good sign. When we got to testing the saddle ridden he started off in his normal drop back, lift head, run away mode, but after a few small circuits he settled and felt very much more relaxed and, to my untutored feel, as if he was stepping through better from both shoulders. We trotted and he didn't rush at any point, just nice and steady and smooth. The saddle felt flatter and more stable to me.

I thought she was thorough and she didn't ask me which side he was stronger on, she told me on the basis of his musculature. What do you think of the report?

She also said that the 17" saddle only just barely fits him, and a 16.5 would be better if I could find an adult shaped one. She mentioned that Thorowgood/Kent&Masters are about to launch a "compact" saddle - anyone heard anything about this?

Reactions: domane
I guess Ziggy liking the new saddle is a huge plus point. That's the main thing I would have thought. Out of interest did she fit the saddle with the half pad in place or naked and then just suggested you also use a halfpad?

She fitted it first using my usual thin numnah. but suggested that because his big shoulders were throwing me out, a half pad (she called it a "fluffy") would help to lift the saddle away from the shoulders. So she refitted (no extra charge) to include the half pad. It meant he needed to go up another gullet size.

Sounds good. I have a 16 1/2 inch thorowgood PC saddle with longer flaps that I'm selling if it would be any good?? It has a flat tree and changeable gullet (does have a PC badge on the back of the cantle tho but that never bothered me) It's very comfortable and I found I fitted in it fine (I'm 5ft 4 and size 12/14) If your interested I can send you photos and you can speak to your saddler about it. X

newrider.com