Saddler visit - I am amazed

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Our saddler came because I was unhappy about the pressure on Ziggy's back from his saddle, as you may recall.

She checked Ziggy and Mattie's saddles and fitted my friend Suzi's filly Izzy also.

Mattie's saddle needed a little reflocking. So did Ziggy's. I was amazed - she did them then and there, in the boot of her car! I rode the saddles for her afterwards and Ziggy was very naughty, napping briskly back to her at canter (smart pony) rather than turning as I had asked. And my girth was loose. And the saddle didn't stir at all and nor did I! "That's a good fit. And a good seat," she said.

She commented on how chilled Ziggy was compared to his stressy self of two years ago, and I rode the reflocked saddle today for 2 hours and the sweat patches were much smaller and I found it easier to sit up properly, so that was all good.

So I was amazed by her reflocking in the field. And I was also amazed by Izzy's fitting. Izzy is half Selle Francais and half Irish Cob, and she has a narrowish front and a wide back and a HUGE barrel. Suzi's Albion dressage - no chance. The two nice saddles the saddler had brought - no chance. What saddle fitted her? Yes you've guessed it - Ziggy's 17" K&M Cob XW!

I do not undertand saddle fitting. I am glad someone does!

yay for saddlers :D I've seen the 'back of the van' jobs in action, too. Very handy! It's also always good to see that what fits 'on paper' and on the ground does not always fit once a rider is on board!

Mine flocks out of the back of his van as well. Would be no good to me if he had to take it away for ages to flock, plus how would he be able to tell it fits?

Yes I like the ones who vsn alter there and then, watch you ride again and tweak if necessary.

I think, well I know my area lacks saddlers. We have ones who don't want to see you ride! No thanks. Its one reason I am treeless, lack of a decent saddler.

The K&M does appear to be a good saddle, it would be what I would look into if I ever changed.

My saddler does the same always says that on paper means nothing the pony will let you know if it is a good fit or not you just have to listen and watch for the signs

My new saddler also works from the back of her van, where as previous not very good saddler would take saddle away, bring it back upto 14 days later and not see rider in saddle??? Also she took measurements from withers with her flexi curve and also over Oggs back near to his last rib(previous saddler only took wither measurements is it the normal to also take the other measurement too?)

My new saddler also works from the back of her van, where as previous not very good saddler would take saddle away, bring it back upto 14 days later and not see rider in saddle??? Also she took measurements from withers with her flexi curve and also over Oggs back near to his last rib(previous saddler only took wither measurements is it the normal to also take the other measurement too?)

wombles fitter did this, she took measurements over his withers from both sides and drew out a template and measured down his spine and made a template of the shape of his back which is what his saddle was designed on

I've seen the 'back of a van' work too, and guess it must be years of experience and having 'the eye' to just know exactly how far to go with reflocking.

newrider.com