saddle still slipping forwards.

coloredred

Feb 3, 2008
Sevenoaks
hollytams.livejournal.com
When Magic came back into work after i broke my wrist i got him a new (well secondhand) saddle, it was checked last week and saddler says it fits. He shows no signs of discomfort like he normally does with an ill fitting saddle but the problem is it slips forwards. Not massivly but enough for me to notice it, it sits level when i first put it on yet is a good inch or 2 further forwards and about an inch and a half higher at the front when i've ridden in it. I've never had this problem before, i thought it was his big grass belly that was pushing the girth forwards which was then dragging the saddle but he's lost his belly now and it's still happening. He isn't a roly poly pony type either and he's not a typical massively wide cob, his saddles have always stayed put before.

It's so frustrating because if it keeps happening i know it's going to start hurting him. It's a show saddle so the flaps won't restrict his shoulder too much when it goes forwards but the tree points end up on his shoulder blades.

I don't want to use the rubber type non-slip pads as i want to hunt him and i've heard of them sticking to horses skin before because the horse gets too hot under them.

I can't help thinking that it's just slightly too narrow for him (not enough for him to complain) and if it was a wide instead of a med/wide then i wouldn't have a problem.

Anyone else experienced this?

newrider.com