Saddle slipping?

cinammontoast

Mar 8, 2007
Knee deep in muck
My new Thorowgood saddle-fitted to the horse-feels like it's slipping.:( All I have underneath is a bog standard numnah: what should I do to stop it slipping?

I'll get out the sadlle fitter again if I need to and he defo needs more exercise as he's put on weight since I got it fitted but is there a pad I could use meanwhile? Sheepskin numnah?

Is it slipping sideways, backwards or forwards? I wouldn't put a pad underneath if he's put weight on since it was fitted. He might have got wider & if that means the saddle is tight, a pad will make that problem worse. Can you post a pic so we can see how the saddle is sitting on him?

Is it slipping sideways, backwards or forwards? I wouldn't put a pad underneath if he's put weight on since it was fitted. He might have got wider & if that means the saddle is tight, a pad will make that problem worse. Can you post a pic so we can see how the saddle is sitting on him?

WHat she said ;)

If it's moving forward, I'm guessing it's if he has put on weight, making his girth groove more forward. If he naturally has a rolypoly shape, you could use a non-slip numnah combined with either an anatomical girth or a humane girth :)

I'd always recommend speaking to your saddle fitter in the first instance.

I had problems with the saddle coming forward but needed to check the fit first and then make other changes such as girth and non-slip pads after being reassured about that :)

My brother had this on his horse- however many synthetic saddles he tried they just kept slipping,even when checked by a proper saddle fitter.

I our case it was that synthetics just didn't fit the shape of our horse and we had to buy a leather saddle- this may be the same for you.

my shetland ponys saddle used to slip all the time, i found a solution however! you know the stuff you put under table mats etc to stop them slipping? if you put some of that under your numnah it will stop any movement. its really cheap for a roll from most general shops. you can see it on this picture... hope this helps!

Attachments

• Sally wearing pink.jpg
    Sally wearing pink.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 21
My brother had this on his horse- however many synthetic saddles he tried they just kept slipping,even when checked by a proper saddle fitter.

I our case it was that synthetics just didn't fit the shape of our horse and we had to buy a leather saddle- this may be the same for you.

God, I hope not! I had to put my leather Cardanel in storage because he lost so much weight over winter and I like Thorowgoods! It can be adjusted in lots of ways, but I can't have a saddler fitter out every 2 months-that's mad!

Loving your Shettie-pretty in pink!

I've never heard that a horse doesn't fit all synthetic saddles simply because it was synthetic. I fail to see how what the covering is made of has a bearing on the fit :confused:

Just like leather saddles synthetics come in a range of tree shapes and some even have interchangable panels (like my Thorowgood T6 GP 3D Cob, also available in leather as an L6 model!) making them more ajustable than many leather types.

The key is finding the saddle that is built around the best fit tree (if going for treed).

newrider.com