Saddle slipping again :(

vikkig

Jul 26, 2007
i have always had issues with my saddle slipping backwards as mac has the biggest withers in the world, recently my stud girth fixed this however it has started again slipping by a good inch causing him to be sore on his kidney area,

i am going to ride in my dressage saddle for a little while whilst i get his other saddle sorted. going to get the fit checked, its a thorowgood saddle and he has lost some weight so his gullet might need changing

how do you stop your saddle slipping? i use a breastplate also but doesnt really help and cant use elasticated breastgirths as mac gets confused and runs backwards from the pressure

any help would be great

Vikki

Hi have you tried those foam like saddlepads erm douishiedoo uses one on here i can get make and info for you?
Also you could try breastplate unless you have already tried that?
Hope this helps :)

how about the stuff you put under carpet rugs to stop it slipping or as shelf liner? Or under keyboards on a desk (The local farmway now sells this as a saddle slip solution!)...

It's like a rubbery mesh kind of stuff - really cheap, and I think can be found in hardware shops pretty easily. I've never tried it personally but I know it's starting to be used quite widely so might be a cheap concept to try - few quid at most lost if it's no good...

I know the feeling - treed saddles all slide back on lance unless they're dressage cut too!

A gel pad which goes under the saddle, and the breastplate, and a girth made of cotton web like cottage craft (a bit grippy, not like leather/synthetic ones). Works for me!

Do you have a picture of where you put the saddle on him and where it slides back to? In my experience, many people put saddles on way too far forward and when riding, they slide back to where they should be. If this is then resting too far back and hurting his kidneys, I'm inclined to say the saddle's too long. High withers shouldn't be a problem as the (well fitted and correctly placed) saddle should sit behind them, not on top of them...

i was having bad slle slipping probs for a week or so but turned out i needed to go down a gullet in the saddle. it doesnt move an inch now! does his saddle def fit? you could also try a diff style of girth? x

Do you have a picture of where you put the saddle on him and where it slides back to? In my experience, many people put saddles on way too far forward and when riding, they slide back to where they should be. If this is then resting too far back and hurting his kidneys, I'm inclined to say the saddle's too long. High withers shouldn't be a problem as the (well fitted and correctly placed) saddle should sit behind them, not on top of them...

I totally agree with the above. Ive just had the saddler out myself..........

thanks for your replys

the saddle moves a full inch if not more when riding, its placed correctly and we went for a 17.5" rather than the 18" we originally had.

i have some of the antislip stuff (£1 from poundies) might give that a go. i am about to give up.

my friend at the stables is letting me have a try of her treeless saddle tomorrow, i have always been told that they are no good for high withered horses but she says to try it she sat it on him today whilst i was at work and said it should be alright.

have spoke to saddler about gullet and i am doing a new stencil tomorrow for it to see if and how much he has changed i believe he is back to a medium argh!!!

who would have horses ;)

Try a Suber pad to compensate/ support/ encourage muscle around wither area and topline and add a Thinline girth. You horse should be supported and comfortable.

Yes, I do sell both but I am happy to loan you both if you pay the postage.

Worth a try, Sue

newrider.com