Saddle size - significant difference between 17 and 16.5?

DukeyFjord

Jul 29, 2016
My boy came with a 17.5 saddle that fits him alright but is too large for me. 16.5 would be the perfect size for me and have been a lot more comfortable in them when I rode other horses. However, the saddle that I am looking at is 17 and fits my boy and my budget.

I was wondering whether there is a significant difference between 17.5 and 17, or if I should spend roughly £600 more (on top of what I will be spending on the 17 saddle) to get a 16.5 (also fits my boy). Reason for buying a new saddle is because the current one is synthetic and I am looking to get a leather jump saddle.

Saddle that I am looking at is the 17" T8 Jump saddle. Part leather part synthetic. Would consider the K&M S series which is roughly £200 for 17" full leather.

Can you get a fitter out who could bring both sizes? Or both makes?
The seat fits you, saddle the horse. But different saddle types and makes will all ride different anyway.

It doesn't sound like a huge difference but changing from a 16.5" to a 17" last month has made a huge difference to me.
My legs no longer feel as if they are going over the saddle when I ride downhill.
I have more room to jump, it's gp style. I struggled in the 16.5" so went up a seat.

Reactions: DukeyFjord
I have the T8 jumping saddle, I LOVE it!

The saddle ideally needs to fit both you and the horse. Best bet is to get a saddler out to try and saddle in different sizes and see what suits you both.

I think you are in the same boat as me. Ziggy just barely fits into a 17" saddle which is comfortable for me. He would be better in a 16.5". But 16/5" saddles are generally "junior" saddles, and so they tend to have shorter flaps, made for smaller legs and thighs, so that even if your bottom fits in to it it may restrict the movement of your legs.

I just had the saddler out to Ziggy and she suggested we look out for a Thorowgood or Kent & Masters "Compact" GP. These are made with a shorter tree but are designed for adults. I'm not intending to buy a new one because my current saddle is still ok for us, but if I lose any weight I may look for a 16.5" K&M Compact. But then I know it will fit Ziggy.

newrider.com