Saddle rub

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
Bud has been ridden in a saddle since July, no issues with it, it is slightly too wide so we have a prolite pad at the front.

I noticed yesterday he has rubbed hair on his back, exactly under the back of the saddle - he is very fine skinned. He has no covering at all and his skin is very very smooth and shiny, he is more tb than cob, very sensitive. I had been using a gp type saddle cloth so perhaps it is not giving him enough protection. Switched to a rectangular one today and made sure it extended on that patch - I wonder if the edging had been catching, but it does look like it is the size of the saddle pad at the cantle about 3 inches by 2 inches. The hair is just rubbed a bit, there is no pain if it is pushed. Obviously don't want it to get worse.

Ideas? I have a polypad which is thicker or should I try a sheepskin on him. I don't think the saddle is really bothering him, given the way he was bouncing around this morning when he went some bouncy racehorses and decided to show them how to really bounce professionally. One of them spooked at the Pink Fairy's lighting scheme.....

Tobes had the same. He had lost weight and the saddle was therefore a bit big, sitting down slightly at the front, raising the back which caused side to side movement which rubbed the hair out at the back.

Norm suggested a sheepskin numnah which I did, and which seems to have sorted the problem. If it doesn't, a prolite adjustable pad would be good for yours.

he is using a prolite pad at the front already, this has just happened in the last couple of days as I check his back every day for marks.

yes have been looking at the Lemieux ones as they seem to be nice quality if I can stretch to a fully lined one that would be nice for him, as he is very very fine and I hate the thought of my weight hurting him.

spoke to them and got a half lined one so it will arrive Monday and see how that works, the rubbing has just happened in the last day or so, so hopefully catching it quickly.

newrider.com