Saddle Recommendations for my new girl

Vicki100

Jun 12, 2009
West Mids
Okay so as you all know i brought a new mare a week ago...:biggrin:

But i need a decent saddle for her so hoping you guys could give me some recommendations!

She came with a crappy rhinegold synthetic saddle, which i would really like to chuck on the fire right now! Horrid cheap crap! :ninja:

Its way to long for her back and sitting too low IMO (Although i am no expert!) please feel free to correct me. I imagine it must be at least a 17" seat, which is too big for both of us. I usually fit into 16-16.5's quite nicely.

I have no idea what width she would be, she is a fine built Welsh B X around 13.1h with fairly big withers and big shoulders. Also not sure what length of saddle she could take?

Ideally if i had the money i would get her a custom made saddle like Finnley has. But right now i just havent got that much cash although i aim to get her one when ive saved up some money again.
So in the mean time id like somthing decent and well fitting!

I really really like the saddle company saddles, but have no idea what size i would get for her :unsure: They are only in up the road from in Walsall so i guess i could give them a bell...does anyone know how much they cost new?

Would i be able to buy one off ebay and ask for one of there reps to come & fit it? But then i wouldnt have a clue what size seat to get?

Confused.Com! :redface:

Yuck Yuck here it is....:cold:
cbe3c628.jpg

The day i got her, not the best pic really. She looks a bit odd lol!
b667e53a.jpg

Slightly better....after a few days of good grub hehe! She needs muscling up a fair bit...
DSC_0683.jpg

Nasty saddle in action...makes me do the chair position
DSC_0568.jpg

DSC_0555.jpg

Help! :smile:

Last edited:
How much are you wanting to spend? I have a saddle co one which is adjustable, but too long for madam it is 15.5 seat with 16 panels. You'd fit in it no problem as your smaller than me. It's synthetic but leather look. Would need reflocking to fit her probably as a medium fitting I would guess. I paid £170 plus postage for it and never used it on madam. Has some surface scratches on seat but only visible in certain lights - like a graze - wonder if someone rode with zips on back of jeans?

Errrrm budget would be around 300-400 at the moment

Not sure wether to wait and go the extra 250 for a custom fit PJ saddle (They are £650.00) but she's one of these types who just craves to be ridden and excercised so not sure i want to wait to long :unsure:

Would my butt fit in that? I have a big butt for a little lady haha :redface:

It does look v.nice though....tempted :tongue:

Would i just ring up Saddle Co and ask for a fitter to come out?

Do you think the more straighter design would be better? She will primarily be my jumping ponio when she is settled .

As you probably know, I love SC saddles and recommend them to everyone:wink:

However, although the straighter cob style saddles put you in a really good position, and allow plenty of shoulder movement, my sons JUMPING position over 3' jumps improved no end when he was in a more forward cut saddle. For jumping, the GP are ok, the SC event are brilliant.

And I would still recommend an SC, becuase of their adjustability. As you say, he will probably muscle up and change shape when you start working him more.

Last edited:
And you used the same size libra as me so you won't have a problem! They resell well anyway - mine is heading for eBay this week.... Along with the others...! Lol.

She doesn't look happy in either photo, so saddle is not doing you any favours.

I would probably look at 16.5 as you are not that tall, you look like you are riding longer and that could be why legs go forwards?

You could lunge while you wait for saddle, or pop on your Libra if still have it.

And you used the same size libra as me so you won't have a problem! They resell well anyway - mine is heading for eBay this week.... Along with the others...! Lol.

Have you been collecting again? Have you got something now, sorry to hiJack.

Yep have been lunging her and letting her settle in since :smile: literally only rode her once since coming home, I refuse to put that saddle anywhere near her again.

16" & 16.5 has turned out to be too Long for her so am awaiting some 15.5's to be delivered :)

Can't help but I am in a similar predicament! Incidentaly I thought a custom saddle would be a lot more expensive then you said. How is Finley in his new saddle? I worry about changing shape with a custom I suppose.

As for what type - can't advise but can let you know how I get on with finding Harvey a new saddle! I will be trying on a new selection courtesy of my local tack shop next week!!

newrider.com