saddle for welsh section d

Three Mares

Oct 23, 2007
I need to get another saddle and the man at the shop said I would probably need a 17 or 17.5 inch wide fitting although he has nothing suitable in stock. What size d - d would a wide be. I have seen some that are 9 inches medium to wide and 9.5 inches extra wide? Is a wide a certain size or differs between makers? My mare has hardly any withers and is quite trim and is 14.2hh. I dont know much about saddle sizes so any help much appreciated here, especially those section d owners! Thanks xx

I have the Thorowgood T6 that was fitted to my 14hh3 sec d by my saddler.

It wasn't just a case of D to D measuring, which is a naf way of assessing fit anyway, but also of getting the right panels to fit my horse too.

I personally would always go to my trusted saddler to fit me a saddle or give me the details of what I would need to source in order for her to correctly fit it to my horse.

Having discovered first hand what an ill fitting saddle can do to my mare I will not cut corners regarding saddles.

I contacted the Native Pony Saddle Co to get Daffy sorted. He's in an xx wide at the moment, the local fitter I had said his wide saddle (which, btw, was causing him to overreach) was fine to continue using. :rolleyes:

It was expensive at £800 for the saddle alone - I also bought girth and numnah so the total came to over £1000 inc fitting - but he is better for it, and the fitters knew their stuff.

my D had an ideal H&C, great saddle as it's quite straight cut so doesn't impeade shoulder action. my current D has a thorowgood cob. definately get a fitter in. Mine have been in anything from a MW to an XXW, it's vital you get a fitter in so you can try out a selection.

newrider.com