Saddle for Heavy Weight Gypsy Cob

Cat1980

Sep 9, 2007
Hi

The horse I have on loan has a treeless saddle which has been fine but since the horse has lost weight through exercise it is slipping and even a smaller gurth doesnt seem to be steadying it. Also My instructor has said I need to get an ordinary saddle to progress further. I am totally new to all of this and dont know where to start. I dont want to pay alot as he is only on part loan but know the importance of getting the saddle right. Can any one offer advice about measuring and any reputable dealers in 2nd hand saddles?

I have a young chunky traditional cob that is constantly changing shape- saddle that i found fits him is a Thorowgood T4 Cob General purpose saddle- as you can change the inserts it fits him all year round and i have never had a problem with it slipping!
Also as it is a synthetic saddle it didn't break the bank- i think mine cost £250 or something like that new but i guess you could get a second hand one pretty cheaply!
I had just a regular saddle fitter come out and measure him for a saddle- he only charged £30 for his time and often they will have second hand saddles that are for sale that may fit!

My instructor has said I need to get an ordinary saddle to progress further.
That seems quite an odd piece of advice.... did s/he explain why? Is it a genuine issue that the design of saddle isn't helping, or their attitude to treeless?
I haven't had enough experience of different saddles to give much advice, but I would hesitate to put the horse in a treed saddle on the say so of one RI, especially if it isn't my horse. Have you talked to the horse's owner about it? I'm not disputing that the present saddle needs changing, but perhaps you could research other treeless styles too.

I think that you need to be discussing this with the owner of the horse - you shouldn't have to be paying for a new saddle - what will you do if you have to give up the loan? A new saddle will cost upwards of £300 and you may spend nearer £800 to find one that fits properly.

As far as fit is concerned, you need to employ the services of a qualified saddle fitter to make sure you get the best saddle for the horse:)

Hi thanks for the advice

The owner is a good firnd and prefers using a treeless saddle. She is happy with the one he has got. We tried a friends sadlle on him and my whole positioning was better and I also felt alot more in control, I feell a bit like i'm sitting in an armchair in the treeless and it makes me slump forwards making my legs go back.

The horse is on long term loan and if I get a leather one i'm sure I can sell it on, anyway the cost isnt really an issue as it's a Christmas prezzie.

Anyway, good news I have just called a master saddler who is coming to see me ride and measure the horse in order to find the best saddle- Im excited!!!

Thanls for your advice xxxx:)

What about a Saddle Company saddle? They are very adjustable (tree can be adjusted to any width) and as they are part synthetic they are very reasonably priced. Come up quite often for good prices on ebay.

When we had hippo he was fitted with a wintec wide. But ever horse is different. Hippo was wide with no whithers.

Dscf1041.jpg

Dscf1038.jpg

Dscf1017.jpg

mmmmm. bit of deja vu here.

My instructor said the same thing to us - but it was HER who didn't like the saddle - she wanted it treed with knee rolls cause that is normal INNIT?

We bought a wintec through our master saddler who turned out not very good :rolleyes: we are now back to the treeless.

The problems you are having in it are normal because the stirrups are set further back that is why your legs are going back but what I think is happening is that the treeless is showing fractures in your riding ability.

No offence. Are you very experienced?

Me and OH were not really and a bouncy green horse, treeless saddle and a couple of riding school clients of a few years (us) didn't make a perfect partnership.

So what helped us?

We just hacked our boy, did schoolwork in walk working on bend, flexion, lots of pole work, ground work, desensitisation. We spent our money on having lessons with an excellent instructor who sorted US out on HER horses. She knew about Coops and would give us homework to go and practice on him.

It took a good 8 months for everything to come right.

Remember the saddle is all about the horse and not you.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I think whatanejit gives some very sound advice in her post, the problem does sound like it is more about your postion and unbalance rather than the saddle itself, I know you have mentioned that you are a novice rider so this is to be expected.

newrider.com