Saddle fitting help please?

alfiesmum

Apr 4, 2009
Devon
I have just had a new saddle fitted for my pony, it is entirely different in shape to the previous saddle, the last was a straight cut (Alfie has big shoulders and minced in a lot of saddles - not a good look for a boy!!) this one is gp and more forward cut for jumping.

It was fitted 3 weeks ago and I keep checking for lumps and bumps, none, I have kept a close eye on Alfie, apart from a balance issue for the first two rides (he always gets them, I can't canter with THAT on, yes you can - oh actually I can gallop!!). What I have noticed is some lighter hairs under where the tree would be, almost as if they have been bleached, not white but lighter then his red bay, the most obvious thing is that this is his summer coat coming through, but he isnt moulting elsewhere, so do you think that basically this saddle is rubbing his old hairs off or quite what?:confused:

I have contacted the saddler, but she has just had an op and unable to reply for another week, I know she will take the saddle back if I am not happy with it, but basically I am happy, except for needing an answer about this bit.

He has a Thorowgood non slip numnah (thin), that he has always had and no signs of muscle loss.

Thanks for reading, sometimes I think I am paranoid:eek: about my boys, but better to be safe than sorry. Maybe I will just give up on treed saddles and buy a Dream treeless instead.:)

patches of white hairs appearing, tend to be a result of something rubbing and causing some form of damage/trauma to the skin, i.e. badly fitting tack, rugs etc. However, obviously because of the length of time it takes for skin tissue to repair and hair to grow I wouldn't have thought it would be caused by your current saddle if you've only just got it. :)

Obviously monitor Alfie and how he goes in his new saddle and if you think he isn't comfortable or something isn't quite right I'd get the saddler to come out and check it.

Personally, having had saddle issues myself before, I personally wouldn't ride until I'd had it checked as my instincts are usually right even if I haven;t got a clue why! Even if my original saddler wasn't about I'd be trying to locate another trustworthy saddler by asking her to recommend one.

It's simply not worth taking chances for the sake of a few quid.

newrider.com