Saddle fit - how to deal with uneven horse?

Scarlett 001

Sep 16, 2003
After doing some riding after Skeeter's saddle came back from reflocking, the verdict is that the saddle is slipping a bit to the left (maybe 1/2 cm or so). While I may put more weight in my left stirrup, which does not help things out with the slipping, I think that the main issue is that Skeeter is unevenly muscled. (the saddle slips a bit even when I ride very balanced at the walk with not stirrups)

The saddle fitter will be coming out again, so of course we'll discuss and adjust. But I've read different things on how to handle uneven horse muscles and saddle fit. Some people say not to make the panels different to account for this - not a good thing. But if you don't do this, an unbalanced saddle (slipping a bit to left) is bad news I would think. Or is the answer to do constant tweaking of the panels over time - adjust them as the muscle builds etc. Then again, maybe he is conformationally different, and it is not just different muscle size??? :rolleyes:

Any advice from anyone out there? What has worked for you in this situation?

If she is uneven on her left shoulder, why not look to developing some exercises to build this muscle up over a period of time, this would then even things up, despite your riding. Are you unable to put you weight into your left side for any physical reason? Is this a long term thing? If not a physical thing etc then see about your instructor getting a better even balance in your riding position. If your position then perhaps think about some Alexander Technique exercises to do whilst in the saddle to even yourself up as well.
You can look at non slip saddle pads. We have one that works really well, although not for the same reasons as yourself, we have a round highland pony. We bought a Barnsby Grip saddle pad - they retail for about £50 in UK, but certain there will have USA retailers as well.
Hope you get on ok and solution comes soon.

newrider.com