Sad thread: People returning in your dreams?

-Autumn leaves

Nov 28, 2010
On the 30th December 2010, I lost one of my best friends in a tragic car crash, she had only just turned 19 years of age.

It was an absolutely awful time in my life, and it's still very hard to come to terms with but i'm just trying to get on with life as it were before.

But, my question is.. does anyone have someone who was close to them, that keeps popping up in their dreams? Inititally, I had dreams every night where there'd be a death happening, and it was awful - obviously it was due to the circumstances. But it stopped for a couple of weeks, but last night, I had a dream and Laura was in it. I could hug her, talk to her, and hear her voice and it was so so nice, it made me think even though she had passed, I could still see her.. but then I woke up and realised it was just a dream, and she was never coming back.

Has anyone had this happen to them? where they see people in their dream? I like to think it was Laura visiting me in my dream, to tell me she's not really gone.

- If anyone would like to read a bit about what happened, here is the website to it.. http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/n...bly-laura/article-3106531-detail/article.html

Yes.

My sister-in-law (also one of my best friends) died after a long battle with breast cancer that had spread to her brain. She's been gone 8 years or so now and she still appears in my dreams sometimes . . . alive, healthy, large as life. Personally, I think this has something to do with the fact that I was never able to see her when she was at her most ill . . . we live in the UK and the rest of our family are in the US . . . so unlike all the other brothers and sisters we didn't watch her go (the others were by her bedside as she took her last breath). My OH flew out for the wake, but I didn't manage to get a flight until the day of her funeral and arrived when it was over . . . so didn't get to say goodbye.

I think grieving is a strange and deeply personal experience and seeing someone we love and who has died in our dreams is a way of coping/dealing with that loss.

Be kind to yourself.

N

Yes, my nan who had passed away after a long illness came to see me, very comforting actually. She was fine and not at all poorly (was a horrible end for her). I woke up feeling a lot better about things.
I have also seen OH's father a lot - he died when we were only 21 - he wasn't very old and it was quite a shock in a lot of ways. He doesn't speak much to me in my dreams, but I sort of know he's ok.

No, not in my dreams but when I'm awake. I feel my mother-in-law with me. She was such a big part of my life until she died nearly 9 years ago. It makes me happy now whereas before I was always sad when I thought about her.

We had a school friend die when we were in lower 6th form, so around 17, from meningitis during half term. It affected our year group at school pretty significantly.

I used to dream about him all the time, even though we weren't close friends, but had grown up through school together as you do with various class mates. He was the class clown but also loved by everybody; such a lovely kid and got on well with all the staff. It was so sad. For a few years he would also 'visit' on the night of my birthday in my dreams.

I also regularly have dreams about my Nan & Pop who died 12 and 16 years ago respectively. What's lovely is that they always in good health. Pop had a several strokes in the last few years of his life which left him paralysed down one side of his body and wheelchair bound, yet in my dreams he can walk, just as I remember him as a young child.

I take comfort from it, and whether it's true or not, see it as a way of not only remembering the happier days but also their way of being able to visit us knowing it will bring peace & comfort. Strangely enough, my mother (whose parents they are) has never dreamt of either of them since they died.

Last edited:
I dream about people I've lost quite frequently. Not like they are "visiting" me though, they just appear as a character in the dream just like the living people that feature in it. I think it's the mind's way of reminding you not to forget them :)

My grandad died when I was ten and then about a year later I dreamt he was waiting outside of school for me and I ran over, hugged him and felt his warmth and the prickle of his wool jumper. It was him saying bye. He died on the day he was picking me up from school the year before. Still makes me cry now!

newrider.com