SAD Light Boxes - experiences

nicolaj

Mar 8, 2005
Sydney Australia
Wondered if anybody has ever tried them.

I don't have SAD, but like most people loath the dark mornings and get very fed up and low with the grey winter days that just don't seem to get light. There are times when I just can't seem to get going:sluggish:.

I also HATE getting up with a passion you can't imagine. Stay well clear for at least an hour:devil:!

After looking at the 'dawn light' alarm clocks, many of which didn't seem to get very good reviews, decided upon a light box, got this one from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lifemax-Lig...S5OW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291108614&sr=8-1

Decided on this one, instead of the one I really liked the look of, but it was £123:frown:, and can't justify that price just before Christmas!

Anyway, wondered if folks out there had used them and whether they had helped, even if you only needed a 'pick me up'.

Did you take them to work or just have them on when eating brekkie?

Thanks for sharing!:smile:

I love our sunrise clock.. LOVE LOVE LOVE it

We did have the lumie basic one (£60) which did what it needed to, I think I actually prefer it to the all singing all dancing phillips we have though! I gave the lumie to my dad for Christmas as it is easier to use than the phillips one I got for him.

Certainly helps the mornign situ though!

We had a light box in the office it was great, the only problem it gave one of our collegues a headache (well so she said) so the rest of us had to reluctantly switch it off. I want one for home.

Me and my dad had one at work and shared it, which was great. He now has it and I miss it. Thinking of getting one here. Popularfurball which would you recommend?

I have been taking vit D though which has helped I think. I haven't been ill yet this year but that could just be a coincidence.

Ive not used a SAD box, but the Lumie light is the one I would chose - really think they lead the way where light therapy is concerned.

Looking at getting my nan one - it helps with onset of and later stages of dementia/alzeimers as it helps to establish a regular sleep pattern

My mum suffers from SAD and has both a lightbox for home and a daylight alarm clock.

What she did was to hire a full spectrum box to start with and then when she realised it worked for her she bought her own one.

Whilst the alarm clock is nice, that on its own doesn't give enough benefit to be of use to her by itself. She needs the lighbox as that is the thing that actually makes the difference to her.

I used to get terrible S.A.D. - it's been much better since I started sleeping in a south facing bedroom (gets daylight from break of dawn!), and I wanted to get a lightbox but couldn't afford one. I did get a dawn simulator lamp, but it was a total waste of money - used it for 4 months (in previous house, very day bedroom) and it never woke me up once! It's still laying in a cupboard somewhere :redcarded:

I used to get terrible S.A.D. - it's been much better since I started sleeping in a south facing bedroom (gets daylight from break of dawn!), and I wanted to get a lightbox but couldn't afford one. I did get a dawn simulator lamp, but it was a total waste of money - used it for 4 months (in previous house, very day bedroom) and it never woke me up once! It's still laying in a cupboard somewhere :redcarded:

Mum's one has the light and a conventional alarm on it too so it's a gentler way to wake up but it does wake her up.

Yes both of ours have a normal alarm on it too - I actually prefer the horrendous beep alarm of the lumie one rather than the birds/sea etc of the philips - My brain doesnt understand the noises and I can fall back to sleep.

Also agree, that I think for SAD you really need a box as well - I like the lights as they can be set for sunset as well if you have trouble switching off.

I dont find the lights any use in summer for waking up though as sun already up :giggle: and we dont have blackout (thought they arent meant for summer anyway I spose!)

Thanks for the replies all interesting!

Seems like the alarm clocks either really work for you or just don't.

Oh well the light box has been sent so should be here tomorrow so see how we get on!

Our bedroom is south facing but have blackout lining on my curtains for insulation and the annoying street lamp!

The alarm thing on mine was the sort of thing that'd give you a heart attack when it went off!!!

LOL!!! That was a major issue on the reviews, the whole point of the light is to gradually wake you in a gentle manner rather than drag you out of bed with the equivalent of fog horn going off in your ear!!!:biggrin:

Ah but the point is that you have the alarm there in case the change in light doesn't wake you up :biggrin:

Either way though, I personlly can't see how the clocks can make enough of a difference so I wouldn't bother!

newrider.com