Rushing over poles

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
I have started to do some simple pole work with Harry. He seems to enjoy this and I don’t think he has done much of it before. He hasn’t done much jumping either.

He picks his feet up over the poles but I find that when he hits them, he panics a little and rushes forwards. Has anyone got any tips for stopping this rushing? Or is it just a case of repetition so he eventually realise that hitting a pole isn’t an issue?

Yes, I think he will get over it with experience.

You might try a bit of lunging/rope circling over the poles so that you can observe his reaction from the ground and perhaps offer more reassurance than you can from the saddle :)

I'd say repetition, but I'd ho back o a single pole to start with, then three being very careful with the distances. As @Jessey says you need to be very careful any reaction to his rushing off doesn't reinforce the problem in his eyes. I'd probably go back to leading over them too, maybe knocking the odd one with my feet so he gets used to the noise and it not being an issue.

Thanks all. I have been leading him in hand over the poles and we are only doing single poles so keeping it all very simple. He is fine walking over them both under saddle and in hand, but trotting is more of an issue. I think he finds it quite exciting and I do have to watch that I stay in balance if he does have a rushy moment. It’s good fun though.

We did more pole work today and he was much better. Sometimes he leaves a back foot behind and drags the pole forward which I think was worrying him, but he is starting to pick up his feet and the swing through his back when he does this it is an amazing feeling.

I’m starting to really fall for this little pony which is dangerous as he is not mine. It’s all going well, seems too good to be true but it’s been 10 weeks now and all is good. I like to think Ben sent him to mend my broken heart.

It is fine to fall for a pony that isnt yours. None of my long term rides have belonged to me. If one chooses to ride a pony several times a week, week after week, you are bound to fall for them. It is a foregone conclusion.

Nothing new to say regarding the repition of poles and it sounds like you're making progress :)

Just going to leave it here that I went from a big horse to a pony Harry's size and not regretted it for a second ;)

newrider.com