running vs standing martingale

stressy

Apr 22, 2009
sunderland
I know a lot of people dont like either of these but my instructor has suggested I try one as a TEMPORARY measure to try and stop my horse from rearing as an evasion technique. We are working through some confidence issues at the minute with her whilst out hacking and although she is getting better she trys rearing as a technique to get her way. I suspect her previous owner may have been scared by this behaviour and has been chucked off by her and not got back on, therefore my horse has learnt this as a way to get her own way. My horse hasnt succeed in getting me off using rearing and tbf she only tried it once tonight. Her back and saddle are fine and she only does it when I ask a question of her (e.g. to walk over a bridge on her own) So my question is what would you use- standing or running, has anyone had any success in usign either of these to help a horse realise rearing is not acceptable? Thanks

Running. It only comes into effect when the horse puts his head really high, otherwise it does nothing at all, which is what you want. It doesn't stop the horse stretching forward and down, which is part of what you are trying to achieve with your schooling.

Also, because the horse is effectively pulling against your hands (with the martingale rings as a pivot) you can soften and don't get the short, sharp, unforgiving snap that you would get with a standing martingale. That type of severe restriction can cause some horses to panic.

I've never used one for a rearer, but one of horses on my yard puts his head really really high when jumping and the running martingale makes such a difference. I imagine it would also help for rearing as the effect is to pull down on the bit which is what you want I guess.

always have put a standing martingale on naughty horses who insist on rearing - always worked and could, usually anyway, be discarded after a few weeks reschooling. Worth a try IMO.

Thank you for your replys, I think I will try running first then if that doesnt work ile try standing, have a standing one but its not elasticated so not so keen on trying that first! As I say its purely temporary and will be off as soon as she realises rearing is not a good idea!

I use a running martingale if doing any XC/JumpX or at time like these where the horses are getting excited (spring grass).

Has worked a reat, but hardly ever has to come into effect.

Jen
x

From a safety point of view I would never, ever put a standing martingale on a rearer. If she tips up (which is very possible as her head will be restricted by the martingale) she could quite easily break her neck. I have seen horses go over backwards in standing martingales, it is horrifying and I hate them at the best of times as they only mask the problem - generally as with any gadget you take it off and the problem returns.

As for your mare, I assume you have covered pain issues? Teeth/back/saddle etc? :eek: I personally don't think a martingale will help at all in this situation. As you say, she has learnt that rearing means we go home and give up, so she needs re-educating that actually, rearing means we stay out here and keep going until we get what we wanted in the first place! Does she give you warning before she rears (ie backing up etc?). You need to try and channel this energy into something else so it can't turn into a rear - turn her on circle, even if you were trying to get her to go straight in the first place. A circle is a compromise - her energy is channelled into something else and she's not being permitted to go backwards/up. Also, try to at least get her head round if you feel she is going to go up - she will find it very difficult to rear with her neck bent round and you can then use this moment of "oh, its hard to try and rear" to direct her into something else. When you are trying to do this distraction/redirection, don't worry about getting her to go where you were wanting in the first place - any direction is better than up. So say for example you are trying to ride her over that bridge and she doesn't want to go, turning a circle is better than allowing her to go backwards or up.

I would not put any martingale on a horse that seriously rears. Not talking about bouncing up where a standing will help but a serious rearer does not want head and neck restricted in any way as said above for safety.

I personally would not use a running martingale at all on as it alters the feel down the reins at all times but a standing will stop the sort of horse that 'bounces' hitting you in the face without stopping normal work

newrider.com