rugs not included when buying a horse,how much would it bother you??

devonlass

May 20, 2006
devon
So just thinking ahead really to the time I *might* sell Jack.

I would prefer not to sell him with his rugs,simply as they are decent rugs (mostly horseware,amigo,rhino etc,and all combo's detachable necks),and I am hoping they might fit my other horse Marble eventually (bit big at present,but not by much,and he might grow a bit as is bum high),or if not am thinking I could sell them on e-bay at a later date to fund new rugs for Marble.

So how much would it bother you if a horse was sold without rugs?? Would it be a dealbreaker or put you off at all??

He won't be sold until spring at least,so wouldn't need rugs for a while,TBH he wouldn't *need* rugs at all if not clipped (hairy fell pony),but I always rug as makes me feel better:eek:

my lad came with nothing not even a head collar. I had to buy everything including the travelling gear to get him home in.

Would not bother me at all.

wouldn't bother me at all. We bought our Jack with only his headcollar n leadrope! Had a ball buying everything new and ebay was a godsend too. I would keep the rugs back as you say, they are good ones. even if you can't use them yourself you can sell on ebay and create some cash for the things you do need;)

Wouldn't bother me. It's nice if they do come with a decent wardrobe of course, but there's no way I'd get rid of a load of nice rugs, especially if my new horse was the same size. :)

I'm not interested in what a horse comes with. I think I've managed to get a headcollar once but that was it. I like to start with my own stuff:D

Wouldnt bother me although I would worry new owners wouldnt have anything so would probably send with a fleece and lw or something :)

If it was Silver Id send with her SI hoodies as they are vital to her well being (not that I could dream of selling her) but she needs them more than any other rugs.

wouldnt bother me i got my horse brought to me and at my end they took the head collar and lead rope off me good job i had everything from my last horse apart from the saddle that fitted just at least let them have the head collar haha

no it wouldnt bother me at all, although if it was winter, i might appreciate one donated to the sale, to give me time to get one that fit him, if i didnt have one already. it certainly wouldnt put me off the sale in any way.

Most horses come with nothing.....when we were looking ovr the summer I think all but one horse came wiht nothing....the "one" horse came with everything (and I mean everything as the owner was going back to Canada)...that horse was priced accrodingly though, probably about £1000 more than it was worth without......

Thanks for all the replies folks,that has reassured me somewhat:)

I have never had anything with any of the horses I've bought either,but up to now any horse I've sold has always gone with all the wardrobe they own,BUT in this case I actually have another use for them as will hopefully fit my other horse,and also are probably some of the best quality rugs I've owned up to now,so am a little more reluctant this time to part with them:eek:

Am relieved to hear that most of you don't think it will make too much of a difference:)

no it wouldnt bother me at all, although if it was winter, i might appreciate one donated to the sale, to give me time to get one that fit him, if i didnt have one already. it certainly wouldnt put me off the sale in any way.

Absolutely agree about the winter thing,and if I was selling him in winter I would definitely send one with him as would want to know myself that he had at least one,but as will be at least spring and possibly even more into summer,I figure whoever buy's him will have a few months to get him kitted out,so am hoping this will be ok and won't put people off??

Wouldn't bother me either if I am totally truthful;)

However I would enjoy the 'bargaining' to try to get them included and would be pretty determined to get at least ONE;)

But thats because I am a cheapskate:p

Wouldnt bother me at all, part of the fun horsey shopping for new things when you get one anyway :d

Thanks again for the replies,and agree part of the fun is the shopping;)

Wouldn't bother me either if I am totally truthful;)

However I would enjoy the 'bargaining' to try to get them included and would be pretty determined to get at least ONE;)

But thats because I am a cheapskate:p

Lol if I'm honest I would be exactly the same,always like to feel I've got a bargain,and am also a bit of a cheapskate:eek::p

Perhaps I will just fib and say he doesn't own any rugs to avoid the bargain hunters like you fairlady that will be determined to part me from my lovely rugs;):p:D

I usually take my own headcollar and rope and traveling gear to collect horses and assume they come with nothing. A lot we buy for the RS however are people giving up, going to uni etc so they often come with a lot. Last one even brought his own wheelbarrow and mucking out tools!

The first horse (after ponies) I bought for my daughter we acquired as a bargain as he had failed the vet as an eventer (he had competed internationally). I was talking to the owner and saying as we had to buy everything was there anything she would like to sell, meaning as additional cost. We left with about £2000 of saddle, bridles, rugs etc for free!

But no generally I would not expect a horse to come with anything

newrider.com