Rugs and Washing the Pones (Sweet - itch hoodys)

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west
How long does everyone keep their beluvv'ds in their sweet itch hoody in a day?

Silver is wearing hers all the time unless I'm grooming her or riding her... But this is making her mane and coat really horrible - I think its greasy. It was a brand new rug about 2months ago, but now its gross too on the inside.

Is she wearing it too much?

Any suggestions on keeping her a bit cleaner (the clean itself after 8weeks isn't working! :p)

Can I hand wash the inside of the rug with shampoo or something? Or only way to clean to go to a rug cleaners?

Ta mucho!!

My mare keeps hers on 24/7 unless being worked.
I have 3 which I rotate and wash on a regular basis. I put mine to soak in a big tub overnight then hang on the line and hose to rinse.

I wash our sweet itch hoodies every couple of weeks in the washing machine. they soon dry on a bright blowy day and i put them back on in late afternoon. They only need a cool wash but it does freshen them up. :)

yep, 24/7, otherwise it is pointless! eg if you take it off when it rains, you just end up with a badly bitten pony just after the rain stops because then the midges are out. i wash mine every month or so in the err launderette :eek: but they dont know im washing a horse rugand i always leg it very quickly and BEFORE they spot all the hair in the machine :p

I tie sponge cloths onto the buckles and surcingles to avoid wrecking the washing machine hub though. It also reduces the noise during the wash.
I limit the amount of washing powder but select extra rinse ;)

Yeah, I wash our boys ever week or so, both his boett and snuggy hood go in the machine on a 40 degree. Not sure about other makes though ? best check instructions ;)
I wouldn't leave him out naked though while washing, as suggested, wash when you can either swap with another rug, or bring in while it's off, but watch out for the 4 stable walls, they get used as scratching posts if the sweet itch is bad and you bring in ! x

newrider.com