Rugging a good doer?

PePo

Jun 4, 2014
I'm trying to balance 'using the winter to help Pete loose weight' & 'not letting him be cold & miserable.

Up until today, Pete's been in a lightweight (I think it's either a 75 or 100g turn out rug) & a fleece overnight. He's seemed fine with this, but the last few days not so keen to go out (he's fine when I turn him out, but rather than wander off to see his mates) he hangs around the gate.

My YM brings in for me when I'm at work - usually about 3-4pm, but today he was bought in at 12.30 as he hadn't moved from the gate.

He seemed a bit on the chilly side & was a bit grumpy when I got to the yard about 6pm - so I've left him in a Thermatex tonight.

By question is - given that I'm trying up balance his weight loss without making him physically too cold, would you put a heavier rug on him tomorrow? I've got a thicker T/O - I think it's 150g but it might be 200g?! Or would a fleece & his current T/O be better? Or leave him as he is?!

He has lost weight so far & whilst I don't want him to be cold & miserable, ideally I want him to not put weight on (keep loosing it, would be even better !)

Having to rug Pete is new to me - it's the first year he's been clipped. If it helps he's had an Irish clip & there's very, very little grass out in his field.

What would you do?

My first thought was put hay out/is there hay out. If he is gate hanging he could be hungry, if not much grass.

Then I would try to find out what weight your rugs actually are. You could jump from a 75g to a 200g if you don't know.

Mine is naked with a grown out high trace, last clip Nov. But we have 15acres of grass. When did you clip last?

If the base of his ears and armpits are warm he should be fine, if you can put hay out id be inclined to try that, if not try a thicker rug. Jess has a bib clip and has been in a no fill rug living out but i put her into a 180g last night (i dont have anything in between) as it was freezing last night with high winds and rain too she was just a bit on the cool side, if it warms up again ill drop her back down.

Ale has a low trace clip and still in a no fill
so far.

If hanging by the gate I would think there was less grass and start haying or didn't want to go out alone if no one else was out
(ale is fine out on his own, but when the grass starts going he will hang by the gate till I put a buddy out with him!)

Mine has a bib and belly clip and is wearing nothing at all. He is coming in at night but still wearing nothing ! I'd be inclined to put hay out for him. I suspect he's hanging around as there is no food in the field.

What everyone else said about hay - ours are un rugged and have started to linger about more. During the day I have started hanging very small nets dotted about - just to keep them ticking over really. I can tell there must not be much to eat - and I don't think rugs would help mine but a bit of hay would. If you are allowed to then I'd prob stick with the same weight rug and put hay out.

Reactions: Ruskii
Ours appear to linger as that's where the barn is, so where is your shelter in relation to the gate? Its also the only totally flat area and the most sheltered from the wind.
It could just be that he was by the gate because of the above.
That said, I have been away and mine has been loitering and looking. The person who looked after her said she was definitely looking up the drive. Bit sad really bless her.

I'd put hay out if there isn't much grass so he can keep warm from the inside rather than upping the rugs. My gelding has got an über short blanket clip and he is still out naked and will be until he's fully clipped in 2 weeks (then he'll go into a no fill or if the temps plummet a lot a 50g)

Moët has a grown out trace clip and is in a no fill rain sheet, I just reclipped Major yesterday and have put him in a 200g now. Rosie is fully fluffy and naked.

Agree with others regarding hay in field etc. Mine are out 24/7 and only tend to linger by gate in the afternoons awaiting my arrival. I have noticed Major can be a little bit more miserable though if colder so hence why he is in a thicker rug to Moët....she is a hot horse and would be fine naked tbh

I should say though mine are not overweight so I'm not trying to slim them down over the winter, actually would like them to not lose weight at all.

Dolly has an Irish chaser clip and I have just recently changed her from a no fill rain sheet up to her 200g. Mainly because it has been very damp and very cold here. If it was just cold I wouldn't worry so much, but if it is wet as well as cold she is miserable. They are still on strip grazing but I am also putting out hay once a day as the grass they are on is very tired looking and not much goodness in it now.

She is a good doer, but I am fortunate that I seem to manage to keep her weight more or less stable all year round and I hope to keep her ticking over at her usual optimum weight this winter too.

newrider.com