Rug rub

Tracy1

Jun 27, 2009
Cumbria
Noticing today Abbie starting to get rub marks from her rugs and her mane is looking a bit shrevelled also, what do you guys recommend to try and stop this

honestly ? a new rug :eek:
You could also go for the lycra vests but it's only really masking the underlying problem.
I strongly recommend nylon-lined rugs, they self-right better IMO :)

The rugs I mainly have are masta ones, apart from a lite weight amigo turnout with no fill and no fleece on the wither area, all her others are brand new masta ones, infact its that one shes had on today and her mane has really suffered

The mane has probably been rubbed by that fleecy part they claim protects the withers ...
What kind of build/breed is your pony/horse ?

I have put a masta on my chunky QH without a problem (apart from the fact that he's outgrown the rug now) but it does not fit my chunky arab at all (rubbed shoulders).
Arab is proving harder to fit than QH - I have horseware (rhino and rambo) and premier equine which fit him. Masta, requisite, weatherbeeta do not fit

You may have success with a lycra bib/bib and neck but I feel it's masking the root of the problem. However it could be a (cheaper) solution that suits you ? You might want to give it a try

newrider.com