Rubbing his mouth on his leg

Laura+Phantom

Jan 25, 2004
Whenever I school or lunge Phantom, and occasionally out hacking, he stops and rubs the side of his mouth on his leg. Why do you think he does this? He's done it with every bit he's ever had. A previous instructor suggested he's doing it as an evasion, to stop working, which sounds right.

However, I know he's due for a teeth check but there's no where suitable to have it done, I have no stables and he plays up. I'm waiting for my dad to put up a shelter so at least I can use that but until then it's probably not fair on the dentist to do it in the field.

Should I stop him doing it?

You both think it is an evasive tactic?? I never thought of that.My horse has always done this . About four months ago he had surgery to remove a cracked tooth which must have been causing him a lot of pain but since the tooth was removed he still scratches his nose a lot.My vet told me after giving him a good going over that he simply has a sensitive nose which gets even more itchy when he sweats.;)

Horses do get itchy when they sweat or when they are shedding or even in the spring/summer when it's extra buggy. They will want to stop and scratch occasionally. As long as your horse does this when it is going at a relaxed walk where you aren't asking him to do anything or you are cooling him out I wouldn't worry if he stops and scratches. Things to watch for are if he stops while he is working (trotting, cantering, ect) to scratch, this is bad behavior and you should tell him so by pulling his head back up and getting him to go forward. Let him know when it is alright to scratch and when it isn't. (PS. Make sure after every ride that you give him a good long scratch on the face as soon as you get off, also, grooming him before/ after a ride should help) good luck!

Hmmmm on reading Equestrians post and thinking about this further I wanted to add that Barney will usually do this when we are out hacking or when I have stopped to talk to my trainer(guess the down time gives him a chance to focus more on what is irritating him);)
I just wanted to add that I would follow my instincts on this.No one knows your horse like you do(not even your trainer..believe me, I have learned that lesson the hard way:( )
So, if this is a new thing then perhaps something physical is going on. perhaps the teeth(like you were thinking). My money(for what it is worth) would not be on the evasion tactic.:)

If the horse really wanted to evade the bit, they wouldn't reach that far down- most get caught in the mouth unless the rider is forgiving.

I pass it off as being itchy- it happens. However, most of the time we just don't let them scratch because they can live without itching- if it's THAT bad, they'll let you know.

If he's rubbing his lips against his knee-bone, chances are his lips are itching, if he pulles his lips back and scratches his leg with his teeth, chances are his leg is itching.

Evasion. Hmm. How does he know what "work" is supposed to be? Has he signed a contract? :D Seriously, it seems it's happening under all different circumstances and evasion seems very unlikely - if you're out hacking, what's he supposed to be "evading"? I have come across horses who will use an itch to get their heads down and snatch a mouthful of grass - but that doesn't seem to be the case here. :D

I think Equestrian has it right.

Cheers

My friends pony used to do this but stopped when she put him in a bitless. She had been recommeded a bitless by our dentist as he had an uneven jaw and the problems he had have all gone now.

As others have said though it could be something as simple as wiping sweat, itching etc.

My horse does this, and has done it since I bought him. Always after we finish a ride he has to scratch his mouth against his leg, or rub his head against whatever is available to rub on. Teeth and bridle fit have been checked, I put it down to just plain itchiness. If he tries to do it while we're walking or if I've stopped to do some yeilding or something I dont let him do it, otherwise its ok at the end of a ride. I'd get teeth checked just in case, and if not then look at behavioural reasons.

Are you sure its not a mild form of headshaking?

Our pony does this and it is a mild form of headshaking. A would never class our pony as a "headshaker" because all he does is what you describe but he is worse in the summer months particularly near rape seed and also on bright days - common causal factors for headshakers.

Have you noticed if he is worse sometimes than others?

Laura+Phantom said:
However, I know he's due for a teeth check but there's no where suitable to have it done, I have no stables and he plays up. I'm waiting for my dad to put up a shelter so at least I can use that but until then it's probably not fair on the dentist to do it in the field.

Should I stop him doing it?

Although I agree with everyone's comments on general itchyness, I do think the teeth issue might be significant too. My horse occasionally rubbed his nose on his leg but only when he was very warm or frothy in the mouth. However, at the moment he does it all the time and I know he has two big hooks so I've put two and two together.....

We also have problems getting a dentist out although we've got someone coming asap. Until then I tend to let him rub when he wants to as long as he doesn't take advantage (he never does). I think only you can tell whether the horse is evading or is genuinely uncomfortable - once he has had a rub does he then immediately go back to working obediently?

If I were you I would persue the teeth option - can you maybe box Phantom somewhere just for the dentist?

Good luck anyway:)

My horse has always done this ever since we got him.Never thought that it was a problem and we recently had his teeth checked and nothing was wrong with them.He found out now that when he does it I loosen the reins so he can wander where he wants though....:rolleyes: :D

echo gypsy gold i knew a little cob that did this as a form of mild headshaking, the only other thing he ever did was once in a blue moon he'd twitch his head, but the head rubbing was a reasonably common, ie at least twice a ride, occurence :(

Twig does this but only when we're halted and I've released the reins. He tends to get quite sweaty though so I'm betting on that being the reason in his case.

I'd get his teeth checked. I used to ride a pony who was kept in a field and as long as I was there to hold him the dentist was happy to do his teeth for me. Then as long as he's had his teeth checked and the bit isn't causing him any discomfort then as some of the others have said he's probably just itchy. If he suddenly stops when working to do it though I'd be worried. In that case it could possibly be his teeth or maybe a headshaking type problem

Just reposting my comment as i started a new branch accidentaly off the original post and it doesnt always show depending how you follow the thread. Though it might help with what vickie above is referring too also!

Are you sure its not a mild form of headshaking?

Our pony does this and it is a mild form of headshaking. A would never class our pony as a "headshaker" because all he does is what you describe but he is worse in the summer months particularly near rape seed and also on bright days - common causal factors for headshakers.

Have you noticed if he is worse sometimes than others?

Hmm...I think it probably is worse in the summer to be honest. He does it in walk and trot, he'll stop dead and have an itch, under saddle and on the lunge, thats why the instructor thought he was evading work. (He's quite lazy at times when schooling) He's done it for about 2 years on and off that I can remember, I would try bitless to test it out but he's not really safe to do that unless I buy a proper bitless bridle. I'll definately have his teeth done asap, and if he still does it, maybe i'll ask my vet what they think?

He'll do it when he's hardly done any work and isn't even slightly sweaty, so maybe it is an itchy nose/pollen thing. He's got a white face and pink nose so maybe it's sensitive.

just below the knee on a horse there is an acupressure point, which is very similar to the one between your thumb and first finger, if you press really hard on the webbing here it will release endorphins into the blood stream, really good if you have headache/toothache etc'
and on my equine acupressure course (most of which i seem to have forgotten) i seem to remember being told that this is what the horse is doing when he rubs this area.
it's hard to believe it is allergy related because practically every horse does this:)

What if he was to do it in the middle of a dressage test, obviously I would stop him then but that would definately lose marks! He'll stop dead in trot to do it which is very annoying, he also breaks back into walk when he's bored.

Cassie never ever does it...

I'll know more when the dentist has been but until then should I let him do it or not?

Code:
Laura+Phantom said:
What if he was to do it in the middle of a dressage test, obviously I would stop him then but that would definately lose marks! He'll stop dead in trot to do it which is very annoying, he also breaks back into walk when he's bored.

Cassie never ever does it...

I'll know more when the dentist has been but until then should I let him do it or not?

I would wait for the dentist to check him out first and then take it from there.Just do a process of elimination. I tend to give my horse the benefit of the doubt until I can get to the bottom of things.When is the dentist coming?

newrider.com