Rubber Matting and Bog Spavin

Jazzyb

Jul 25, 2007
Hi All

I am looking for some advice please.!!

My mare has had bog spavins for approx 2 years, the vet has advised that as she is not lame and I am not showing her there is no need to have them drained, and she can continue her normal ridden routine.

As she is an extremley messy mare in her stable I bought her some rubber matting last year and I bed the back of her stable with a thin layer of shavings. This works really well for her and she lays down in her stable and is a lot cleaner than on full bed of shavings or straw.

A girl from my yard has said that I am cruel to keep a horse with bog spavins on rubber matting and that she should have a really deep bed. :eek:

I was a bit shocked as the vet has given her the all clear and he has no issues with her being on matting.

Am I just being paranoid or should I take this girls advice?

Thanks
S
xx

Whats the difference between sleeping on rubber matting or hard summer soil?

Does she leave her horse out? Tell her its cruel to let her horse lie down in the field and she should have a deep bed for it :p

Honestly some people :rolleyes: My mum is the same, her mare is on matting because, to put it politely, she is a scruffy cow :eek: and as I do all the mucking out she just gets a sprinkle to soak up any wet. Mother comes into the stable 'Look at her bed, its so small! Put her another bail down, she is going to hurt her legs!' :rolleyes::rolleyes:

what is bog shavings?
i have 2 of mine on rubber matting with just a sprinkling of shavings. if ppl dont like it it then tuff **** on them, they are my horses and i will look after them as i see fit.
tell them to mind their own business and go look after their own horse.

agree, rubber matting is way more reflective to their natural lifestyle, i.e: they would lie down on hard ground in the wild, there are no deep soft shavings beds to be found!
also most ppl without rubber matting dont make beds deep enough anyway so u will end up with scraped/capped hocks as a result of them knocking them on the conrete floor.
stick with your rubber and sprinkles!! :D

agree, rubber matting is way more reflective to their natural lifestyle, i.e: they would lie down on hard ground in the wild, there are no deep soft shavings beds to be found!
also most ppl without rubber matting dont make beds deep enough anyway so u will end up with scraped/capped hocks as a result of them knocking them on the conrete floor.
stick with your rubber and sprinkles!! :D

sorry i dont agree there, as i have one of my horses on straw and have never done banks or deep bed and he dont have cracked hoofs cos of this and iv had him for 7 years now.

Last edited:
the man who invented the Fieldguard rubber mats did so originally as he had an old mare with arthritis and it was to ease her bones and make her more comfortable.

if you lie down on rubber mats, they are a damn site more comfy than shavings or straw as they are supportive and soft. they also don't get cold particularly if the horse is a box walker and churns it all up - my mares are on mats as they are messy, Molly is a box walker.

so you are doing the right thing.

mine are on rubber mats and all the donkeys lie down and sleep at night - the only time i have put a deep bed on top of the mats is when Rosie had lammy and it was to provide more cushioning for her feet

are bog spavins the same as wind galls then?

i have my horse on rubber mats and last winter when he was in just gave him a spinkle of his pee. ive now had to put a bit more bedding down though as he was sliding when he walked around - no shavings for teh poo to mush into so the mats became smelly, slippy and slidey. this is the main difference between mats and hard ground.

i think your mare will be ok though, i just felt i had to mention teh above as its cost me 2days at the vet school;)

sorry i dont agree there, as i have one of my horses on straw and have never done banks or deep bed and he dont have cracked hoofs cos of this and iv had him for 7 years now.

i didnt mention "cracked hoofs", i said scraped/capped hocks as a result of when the horse lies down he knocks/scrapes his HOCKS on the concrete floor. ive seen this happen even WITH deep litter beds.:)

i didnt mention "cracked hoofs", i said scraped/capped hocks as a result of when the horse lies down he knocks/scrapes his HOCKS on the concrete floor. ive seen this happen even WITH deep litter beds.:)

sorry im tired not thinking right. but thats *** i meant. my bedding has never been deep and hes never suffered with any harm at all:D

Yup that happened to my horse, even though he was in a deep (up to your knees) straw bed he had walked around enough to move all the bedding to one side then like the dummy he is laid down on the concrete! Needless to say he will be getting rubber mats this winter!:D

newrider.com