Rounding vs Two reins?

but if a horse is going well in a bit and is in no discomfort from the way it is used, why on earth would you want to change it? :confused:

Well certainly for me my aim is always to get a good raport with my horse and continuously lighten the aids as well as improving her way of going.

So a change may be in onder for our bit whether she's happy or not to enable me to more effective comunicate subtlely or because I have been successful in lightening the pressure I need.

Of course as time progresses both she and I change so quite often staying the same will mean missed opportunities to swap for somthing less or something that allows more refinement ;)

Last edited:
my horse was trained western and likes the feel of a curb bit. I think it is the more generous room for his big fat tongue.... My kids are learning to ride him and the big western curb is too much so they have been riding in an english jointed snaffle which he isn't great in. I then tried a pelham quickly and that went OK but at that time was too much for the kids. To cut a long story short he had to have some dental surgery and a lump cut out of his jaw we need to get back to riding as he has thankfully recovered well. We are now several months down the road with more mature jockeys for him etc. The only english bit he likes at all is a mullen mouth pelham I have. I HATE roundings, they completely detract from the purpose of the bit and having such a nice mouth peice (in my opinion). I think it might be kinder to get some elastic in between the bit and the hands for my kids when they are riding as that curb rein should mostly be redudant (for their purposes of slightly farm style riding - they don't need to worry about shape at the poll etc - he goes nicely, sensibly and safely - even if not like a dressage king - but he doesn't need to be that for them. I'm pretty sure they will be OK with the snaffle rein but just wondered if those elastic rein inserts from Horze - soft reins could go on the curb rein, just in case. I think they would certainly give the kids more confidence to try as they would be devastated to think they might accidently sock him in the jaw. I will also be putting bands of insulation tape around the curb rein to start with for them so they have a quick visual reference of roughly where to hold the reins. Has anyone any experience of the Horze soft reins or anything similar?

Alternatively if in these circumstances I were to leave the curb rein off would the bit sit at the optimum rotation in his mouth for his comfort.
Thank you in advance

I'd leave the curb rein, and curb chain, off.

You may get more replies if you start a new thread rather than bringing up such an old one.

my horse was trained western and likes the feel of a curb bit. I think it is the more generous room for his big fat tongue.... My kids are learning to ride him and the big western curb is too much so they have been riding in an english jointed snaffle which he isn't great in. I then tried a pelham quickly and that went OK but at that time was too much for the kids. To cut a long story short he had to have some dental surgery and a lump cut out of his jaw we need to get back to riding as he has thankfully recovered well. We are now several months down the road with more mature jockeys for him etc. The only english bit he likes at all is a mullen mouth pelham I have. I HATE roundings, they completely detract from the purpose of the bit and having such a nice mouth peice (in my opinion). I think it might be kinder to get some elastic in between the bit and the hands for my kids when they are riding as that curb rein should mostly be redudant (for their purposes of slightly farm style riding - they don't need to worry about shape at the poll etc - he goes nicely, sensibly and safely - even if not like a dressage king - but he doesn't need to be that for them. I'm pretty sure they will be OK with the snaffle rein but just wondered if those elastic rein inserts from Horze - soft reins could go on the curb rein, just in case. I think they would certainly give the kids more confidence to try as they would be devastated to think they might accidently sock him in the jaw. I will also be putting bands of insulation tape around the curb rein to start with for them so they have a quick visual reference of roughly where to hold the reins. Has anyone any experience of the Horze soft reins or anything similar?

Alternatively if in these circumstances I were to leave the curb rein off would the bit sit at the optimum rotation in his mouth for his comfort.
Thank you in advance
Sounds like my mare, she started out western but never went well in a snaffle but great in certain curbs, when I switched to riding english more I had a bit of a job finding a snaffle that she liked, I found she preferred a dogbone to a single joint and even better a solid mouth with a bit of a port to give her tongue more room, This one was ok or This one.

thank you both for your replies. I'll order up that mullen snaffle - it looks rather like it has a low port in there too - In the meantime I can use the pelham on snaffle only as after so many months of not riding he has an infatuated queue of young jockeys waiting! OK I'll ride him first incase he finds it too good to be back at it as well!

Last edited:
newrider.com