Rope Halter help required..please :0)

LodgeRopes

Sep 8, 2004
australia
www.lodgeropes.com
G'day all...
We have a rider in Berkshire who has one of our rope Half Bosal halters, the fiador knot has come unravelled. Normally we would retie this in minutes and have it back in the post the same day we received it.....BUT following the recent outbreak of Equine Influenza in Australia, Australian Customs have placed a ban on all used horse gear into Australia so we cannot help out our customer.
Is there any forum member with the kowledge and experience to retie the fiador knot on a rope halter. I'm sure the customer would pay for all postage and we would be forever indented for the assistance in this matter. We can supply the original measurements for final sizing and any technical assistance required.
The ban on imports has been a concern but this is the first time we have been caught out by the new regulations..
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
Rob
LodgeRopes

Err, I might be able to do it:eek:. I have just made one for Arnie (dont know about it taking minutes - I was weeks at the damn thing:D). Is it just a standard rope halter? I ended up buying a jig for the fiador and I think I've got the blood knots sussed so I'd be willing to give it a go. I still need to sort out how to avoid a bit of twisting but I could give it a go and you could give me a bit of advice when I got stuck.
IMG_5659800x600.jpg

IMG_5660800x600.jpg

I admitted defeat after about 3 weeks - although I passed the whole thing over to my very handy mother and she got as far as a scale plan to use - but not quite finalised.

At that point (and after the first £20 odd quids worth of rope), I bought a halter tying jig off ebay which has a great gadjet for the fiador. You just put the rope on the pegs and follow the colours and when you take it off - voila, a fiador:D. That cost about £35 including postage from USA.

While I waited for that to arrive, I got fed up and bought a cheap one off ebay so I am now about £63 into this - but do have 2 halters to show for it:D

Skipysmum - up to 12 with normal knot. easy way out. I will look for that gadget you mentioned, do you have a website? daughter does them in the backseat driving to yard???? I have obviously lost it with age.:D

Thanks. SK. I notice on vid, it is taking it off and not putting it on, are you sure it is easy. Will order one and see.

Last edited by a moderator:
I must appologise for starting a thread then not replying. We have been a little busy. It has not rained for months, we ran out of water for our horses, so I have been trucking in 1000 litres of water every couple of days to water the paddock pigs. So I payed a small fortune to have our dam cleaned out ...and the guy turned up and did 2 passes cleaning out the built up silt in our dry dam, then he started to sink into a clay mud bath... bogged.....a D8 bulldozer weighing 20 tons is stuck in our dam...and it started raining!!!!!
You would not read about it....it rained.
if you throw enough money at any situation, you can overcome anything.
Ok, our dam is now cleaned out, we have some water in the dam, our horses are watered and the dozer driver, a D9 dozer driver and an 12 ton excavator driver are all richer... so now I can think of our poor customer in Berkshire :cool:

First up. thank you for the replies.... It is really appreciated.
Crystal Fire is about to announce the UK LodgeRopes Halter Tying Clinic in Sept, email to book your place, all halter tying secrets will be revealed, only joking CF......lol..... as karens heart rate settles I want to say it is great that so many riders are tying their own halters. Now you have the basics, if you need any help in getting the rough edges sorted out, email and I am only too pleased to help out with those little details like getting the knots to sit flat or sizing issues., please identify yourselves as we get soooo many emails every day. You try dealing with 150 emails a day, many from people wanting to buy a solution to a training problem.

Anya, I will PM, thank you so much.

Retying a fiador knot on a halter is soo much more difficult and diferent than tying one on a new halter. The knot can be rolled, turned inside out or just stuffed!

I watched the vid on the fiador jig...it seemed so much more difficut than just tying the knot...I really doubt its benefit.

great job on the halters KT& skip..but the sizing is way out.. no knots should be on the cheek area,..if you need any help with sizing..just email anytime.No charge, just honest help from a halter tyer with years of callouses to prove it.:cool:

cheers from Downunder

Last edited:
Retying a fiador knot on a halter is soo much more difficult and diferent than tying one on a new halter. The knot can be rolled, turned inside out or just stuffed!

Yes, I agree, but I have found one of the diagrams for tying has made it relatively simple. I changed the original diagram I did to make it a bit clearer for REtying. I've done it a few times, and usually yes, the rope is twisted. But I can untangle it enough that I can lay it out as per the diagram, then it's simple. BTW, to save future hassles, when I make my halters I put a couple of stitches through the fiador, so it can't come undone again.

Sorry Rob, I realised after I'd sent it, that I got it back to front - you are after someone in UK & you're here in Oz too. Should have known that, from previous conversations.

Attachments

• retie fiador halter_386x600.jpg
    retie fiador halter_386x600.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 24
Anya,
Thank you for the pic...it should help out a lot.
Thanks for the tip on stitching the fiador knot.

CF, we are still hunting a deal on airfares at the moment...prices seems to be dropping as seats become vacant due to global recess...recess err, err economic destabilising effect of non capital investments stalling creating a tempory fluctuation in something or rather( dont know what it is like in the UK, but here in OZ our politicians dont want anyone using the word recession :0)

cheers all
Rob

newrider.com