Rode through the desert on a horse with no name....

LBrider

Nov 7, 2010
Suffolk
Got back last night from my trip to Egypt, and have only just skim read the forum. Sounds like you have all suffered at the hands of the weather yet again and am sorry to hear some of you have also had falls. Hugs and healing vibes to all the people and horses that have aches and pains. x

Well I said I intended to try riding an Arab horse across the desert...and I did it. However, although I'm glad I did because it's another thing ticked off the 'Bucket List', it's not something I'm keen to do again! Think I'll stick to riding in the UK...

So, we did a lot of research about what sort of riding facilities were available. We'd seen pics on the web of very, very skinny sad looking horses being ridden in the mid day sun and being kept in poor conditions. So we managed to find a place that had well cared for horses and booked a two hour hack into 'A Beautiful National Park and Along the Beach'.

As many of you will know, I am THE biggest wuss in the history of riding. My friend has ridden all her life and has no fear but doesn't ride regularly now. Also, neither of us are lightweights but she is a good three stone heavier than me.

We told the woman what our experience was, and I said how I was ok to W,T & C but I needed to be clear when we were going to make a transition and would only be happy doing short burst of very gentle canter on a horse I don't know. I can only assume she didn't pass this info on to the young man who took us off on our steeds...

We were given hats (very unusual for Egypt) but the guide chap didn't have anything on his head. We all rode lovely Arabs, and he was on the most beautiful horse I have ever laid eyes on, a black Arab stallion who looked like something from a child's picture book, with amazing carriage, a very long wavy black mane and tail, and flaring nostrils which were bright red on the inside.

So off we go. Now, for those who have never ridden an Arab before, and who like me, are more used to having a nice meaty cob between their legs, it is very akin to riding a cardboard cut out horse. They also seem to have a very up and down gait in walk and trot and boy can you feel those seat bones! :help:. We get up onto the road and I'm thinking it odd that the (rather arrogant) guide hasn't once looked back to see how we are doing or spoken to us. We break into a trot, which was extremely uncomfortable and very difficult to balance to. It became apparent immediately that my mates horse was lame, so she called out to the guide and told him. He got on his mobile and another chap came galloping up with a new horse for her. Now, as I say, she is a fairly big girl and watching her trying to mount the new horse from the ground was both quite funny and distressing because it wasn't much fun for the horse.

So off we go again....

Around the corner there are some apartments, and someone obviously decides to shoot a rat or something. I have to say, the horses didn't spook too much but did break into a trot again. The stallion and my mates horse were a bit faster in trot so my mare goes into a gentle canter to keep up, which was more comfortable than a trot, to that was ok. Then, without looking back, the guide and my pal suddenly decide to canter - meaning my girl was going faster and faster to keep up. At speed I was really uncomfortable and unbalanced and decided to slow her down. But she just stopped dead, with me nearly shooting over her head! The guide still hasn't look around, and I see him and my pal disappearing over the horizon.

My horse will not go forward. I have gentle contact (worried that she might bolt) but she started walking backwards, weaving, and then slowly spinning.

Guide finally realises and comes galloping back down the hill. 'You are a bad rider' he tells me. 'You ride like she is English horse. Arab horse does not need reins. You always ride like this' he says, showing me his reigns, held on the buckle.

Well I know my confidence is poor, and in that moment I thought I can either burst into tears (I came close) or man up and tell him what I actually thought. I did give him an earful, told him that he should have been paying attention and that as he knew I was English why the bl**dy hell didn't he explain the differences in riding style before it all went wrong? That seemed to flatten his arrogance down a bit and he said ok ok, no problem and we set off again. I rode up next to my mate who said the reason they had disappeared over the horizon was that her horse was like a coiled spring and had bolted, and that the guide was trying to sort that out.

My horse then decides to stop again, starts weaving and walking backwards. He shouts at me about the reigns so I showed him that I had her on a very long reign. 'That's because she knows you can't ride' he said. (Bast*rd!) 'I will put you on lead rope for a couple of minutes so she knows she has to go forward.' He rides up along side me, and then it all happened in slow motion...I watched as the stallion flared its nostrils and swung around, kicking both me and my mare side on. My girl naturally retaliated and my pal said afterwards that she doesn't know how I managed to stay on. I swore very very loudly using a very universally understood word.

So on we go....

My bum is getting more and more bruised and I am waiting to get to the 'Beautiful' bit of the ride. So far we have just gone across a grubby bit of desert with various bits of old building material strewn around. My horse gets the idea that she has to carry on so guide gives me back the lead rope.

In the distance, we hear a dog bark. Then another, then another and many more. They get louder and louder. We are now being chased across the desert by a pack of wild dogs. Oh joy.

So he suddenly leaves us, to go galloping off at top speed back where the dogs are, screeching at them. Mate and I are just looking at each other thinking our horses are likely to go off after him but thank goodness they didn't. He came tearing back on the black, and thirty seconds later the pack of dogs came back anyway....we finally left their territory and they left us alone.

So we spent the remainder of the ride in the same sort of surroundings, never saw a beach or anything 'Beautiful' in my opinion, and for the last half an hour the guide decides to talk to us about his religious and political views which were quite different from ours, but we felt vulnerable so we didn't dare disagree or challenge him, and just said 'mmmmm, yes,' a lot.

The last ten minutes was agony as my bum cheeks by now were on fire and every step was killing me.

We got back to the stables and said thanks, got on the bus, hovered a couple of centimetres above the seats then went back to the hotel and had quite an impressive amount of vodka. But hey, I said I was going to do it, and I did it. Never again though. Never, never again.

OMG!!! I'm not sure what bit I would have been most scared of. Probably the wild dogs. I am pretty sure that I would have pointed the horse is the opposite direction and galloped as fast as I could away from the dogs. I hate dogs and will do anything to get away from them!!

I'm pleased that you lived to tell the tale.

Oh goodness. Good on you for making it to the end! Even though it's not an experience you would want to repeat...

Wish I'd known you were planning to ride in Egypt. I would have warned you not to! Based on what I've heard from my boss's mum and best friend, who were riders and jockeys of various descriptions when they were both living there, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone sane! Your ride sounds like the sort of thing I would really enjoy, but I'm weird like that!

Oh dear, what an experience! I can understand you feeling vulnerable too when he started on about his views at the end of your "beautiful" ride. Not nice at all. I presume this ride was not endorsed by your hotel / travel company? Something you looked into yourselves? Least the horses weren't too skinny then? I would have completely lost the plot and probably had to get off - I know it would be the wrong thing to do but I don't think I'd have managed to not faint with fright when I heard the dogs barking!!! Well done you and your mate for surviving it all - what a bloomin thing to tell your grandkids one day!!:eek::eek: Don't think you'll be doing it again somehow.................But least you had a go.........and the black horse did sound nice..............

Crikey! I think I would have hit him! What a nightmare and just sheer luck neither of you came to any harm by the sounds of it? Well done for sticking with it, I would have bailed out right at the beginning I think.:redface:

Glad you survived! I wonder how many people do come to grief?

When me and my family had a holiday in Egypt we went on a 'dessert ride' - 3 on horses (including me) and 3 on camels. I was the only one who had ridden a horse before and no-one had ever ridden a camel. It was only a short ride but very confusing - the guide kept saying ok we can trot here, then as soon as we started trotting he'd yell no, no, stop! The dessert looked nothing like I imagined either - it was more like rubble than sand. We were glad to be back and nothing too terrible happened to us!

Oh and btw :redcarded: re the Arab trot - most Arab's, including mine, have a very comfortable trot! :giggle:

Oh Yikes, that sounds horrendous, never again aye!

Still at least you have done it and managed to stay in one piece.

I have heard so many similar stories, some people have been totally put of riding for life.

I bet after that lot you are glad to be back in dear old England :smile:

Bodshi - hopefully I will get the chance one day to ride an Arab over here. Maybe it was they way these horses were trained or something , or just me being used to something so different, but they all seemed to have a very up and down trot - almost not moving forward.

Also, I forgot to add that after the kicking and dog incident, the guide finally did tell me that the mare I was on had been in foal a few months previously and had lost it very late on and was quite depressed. I was already feeling a bit emotional and this news had me really holding back tears.

On another day we did ride a camel. How anyone could do that in trot is completely beyond me. That was another tick in the box but never to be repeated experience!

Wow, not a good experiance. I've recently been following PFK (Prince Fluffy Kareem on FB) who are a charity helping horses and camels at the pyramid district and learnt a lot about their culture by looking through their albums, don't look if you are squeemish and they are likely to make any horse lover very emotional, they do some amazing work tho.

I am very glad you are safe. I guess I would have dismounted. That is what I did in India as we had no helmets though one was promised by the vjv courier.

As for the surroundings. We have had that too in the Middle East. UK travel agents like to offer activity holidays with some walks included.
Walking for the sake of walking is not local culture and the suburbs, rubbish tip or a railway line is about as good as you get.
There was a USA bloke on NR years ago who went a good desert ride in Egypt, but he was a novice and it was in French terms his first gallop.
I would still love to ride an Arab horse one day. After all, you have done it and survived.

Oh poor you, I did giggle a lot though - you made it sound very amusing, although I know it must have been awful.

One off the to do list!!!

Thing is, because I lack confidence so much, if it hadn't been for the fact that my very confident friend felt the same about the whole thing as I did, I'd probably be thinking it was really just me being crap at everything. We had read lots of reviews of the place before we went out and everyone seemed to be saying how fab it was. I do wonder if the guide was just in a very bad mood that day? I quickly checked the girth before I mounted up and he stared at me and said 'you obviously don't trust us'. I told him I did trust them but that is just how I was taught in England - to be responsible for checking my own tack. The horses were actually well behaved - I don't blame the stallion for kicking us when he rode up alongside - he's a feisty stallion, that's what happens - and my mare was actually trying to look after me, it wasn't her fault that we hadn't been told how to ask them to ease back, which apparently involved saying 'Ajkfaeffeewsdjfj' or some similar weird word that I had no chance of remembering in a month of Sundays!

Certainly the most important thing for me was that they were obviously loved and cared for, and having seen some of the other so called 'stables' out there I can at least be thankful for that.

Oh this sounds horrid but you are both OK that is what is important now.

i had an Arab and she was amazing but yes it would be like seating on a razor blade if you are use to a cob.

I have been to many places on the middle east most of which I hope never to return to and yes the desert is more rubble , dust and dirt than lovely soft sand

O dear. Seems a shame that after waiting so long to try something (not to mention doing thorough research) all was not what as was billed. That sounds like my idea of the ride from hell. You write well and entertainingly about coping with something that would have many of us running for the hills, with or without the horse...

I too had an extraordinarily weird beach ride on an Arab pony years ago. We had a belated honeymoon in Tunisia (goodness only knows why). I fancied a beach ride (someone in the hotel had recommended it) and OH gamely decided he'd give it a go too. We strolled along the beach to find the group of horses that looked healthy and happy.

After a chat with the be-robed chap who had half a dozen wiry but well cared for ponies in a shady spot we agreed on an hours beach ride, explaining our experience, or lack of. I refused to get on until I'd checked the tack/pony all over for rubs and sore spots, and then we mounted up and made our way down to the beach. The horse owner was on foot.

It was the most peculiar riding experience I've ever had. The horses were entirely and absolutely voice controlled by their master. It mattered not a jot what I did - they had ears only for his words and sounds. (They probably wouldn't have recognised my English riding aids anyway - but boy, did I feel out of control.) They trotted when he asked, stopped, slowed, sped up - even at some distance. So peculiar.

Eventually he seemed to be encouraging us to go faster and away up the beach. In the end we got far enough away from him to be out of earshot and we could relax a bit more. The tack was odd shaped and hard, the ponies were narrow and nippy. After a while we turned round and even ventured a canter back towards where we came from. OH declared that 'more comfortable than the trot'. The other groups of horse rider vendors we passed seemed to find the sight hilarious and whooped and hollered us on our way. I was quite glad to get back to the sun wizened elderly Arab man who owned the horses, and we clambered off and thanked him.

That was not the end of it. He insisted that we had paid for an hour, and had not had long enough. Despite many reassurances that we were quite happy and didn't want anything else he wouldn't take no for an answer. Seeing that I was the rider of the 2 of us he insisted I remount and he clambered aboard another one of the horses and off we went again.

I'll never forget it - it was like the Charge of the ruddy Light Brigade the moment we hit the sand... Off we tore. Again, ponio took not a blind bit of notice of me. A minor scene from Lawrence of Arabia then followed as we screamed down the beach, and after a very, very long time he wheeled us round with an imaginary screech of brakes and we went haring back again, flat out.

Joosie would have enjoyed it, bless her young and fearless heart. I thought I was going to die :redcarded:

I am another one who will not ride again in an Arab country.

newrider.com