Rode Jess Again...Problem and Advice Needed!

Flony_Pony

Apr 20, 2007
Milton Keynes, Bucks
I ride Jess in a full cheek baby bit with keys and a french link to help her mouth the bit. She responds quite well to it but she shakes her head alot.

She has been out of work for 6 months, but when i ride she just throws it around. Any ideas how i can stop this? Or is it just a case of her getting back into being used to having a bit in her mouth?

Shes been really good apart from this its just frustrating and i dont want to lose my temper with her!

I would lose the keys as they aren't much good for riding in as they do make them fuss - try just a simple french link. How old is your mare?

She will be 6 this summer but she doesnt soften or mouth the bit very well....hense the keys! Will definatly try her in one without the keys, i also have a happy mouth one. She just isnt as soft in them!

I'd also lose the keys, like StormyJ I was always told they aren't really suitable for riding in. What to replace it with? To begin with I'd try a french link, lozenge or peanut type. Personally I'd not use Happy Mouth if she doesn't mouth the bit much as some horses find them quite a dry material & I've known them chaff the lips. Maybe try a bit made of sweet iron or with copper inlays as some horses prefer the taste of them & will mouth them more.

Thanks carthorse. She used to have a sweet copper iron bit with copper rollers on! Will have a look in the tack shop at the weekend (i dont plan to get back on until saturday anyway) and see whats around.

newrider.com