robinsons carriages?

I have mixed feelings about them. I had one of the early ones, which came with my shetland mare when I bought her. She had been started off in it, and at that point had never been driven in anything else.

On the good side, they are very light weight and easy to get in and out of. With mine, two adults were a bit of a squeeze, but I think that's better now with the newer models even with the shetland size. I sold mine to a friend with an elderly shetland, and he is happier in it than his former exercise cart. However, he (the pony) is longer bodied than either of mine, and she did have to have the shafts extended a little for safety.

They give a very smooth ride on the roads, but because they are so light, they are very bouncy off road, even on grass or school surface. I tipped out of mine when doing an involuntary sharp right turn in the outdoor school! It does say in the Robinsons catalogue that they are designed for use on paved roads - and they have weight and speed limits!

I found the tyres went flat easily, and I had a couple of punctures. In the end I decided it wasn't suitable for what I wanted.

So, in answer to your question, it rather depends on what you are going to do. If you will be doing a fair amount of off-road work, even if it's just in a field, you may be better off with something else. If, like my friend, you will largely be sticking to roads or lawn like surfaces, it will probably be fine. Hope this helps!:)

We have a shetland one for our minis, apart from repositioning the swingle tree as would of had upwards draft line:rolleyes: has been fine, we mainly use in the sand school and round the fields with Shettie in canter most of the time - she loves cones and weaving - and haven't had a problem. It was one of the 2nd generation ones though, don't know what they changed. Very good for the money IMHO :)

I have one for my chap, I had originally only bought it as a training trap to break him in with, and thought I would chuck it out when it was falling to bits, but its still going strong.

I guess it may be one of the more older versions, I'm not sure however I have found it so handy as the shafts are removeable, Its a perfect fit for a Rangerover boots, or alternatively it slides in on its side in a horse trailer, which is great for going out for a drive somewhere !:)

I have had two, recently sold one to get a four wheeler, and used them for driving around private tracks, and find them fine, as they are light and balanced - by adjusting the seat- and they are robust - have hit the odd gate post etc and lived.

As Sparky Lily says they have their limitations - two adults are a squash, although one adult and one child just right! and they dont have suspension so driving around the fields is bumpy and not very pleasant. I have only had one puncture though and that could happen to any trap on phnematics.

They are like the "value" brand in Tescos, fairly good basic all round value, but you may want to spend more and get the "Extra Special".

newrider.com