Rising trot - please spell it out for me...

Riley Roo

Mar 14, 2008
North Wales
Ok - so for years i have done rising trot pushing from the stirrups and therefore rising too high, flappy leg, etc etc.

I am trying to correct this and know that i shouldn't be pushing from the stirrups but am not sure which part of my leg i move from -what part of the leg is gripping what etc etc.

Please can someone give me a step by step instruction as to what part of the body moves, grips etc.

Probably better if you don't think of rising as much as controlling the down part!!

I have changed the way I teach rsing trot over the years and undoubtably my most recent method of encouraging people to let the horse push them up and think about controlling their downwards rhythm has the best results. I follow that up with exercises in standing trot to get the lower leg in the correct position and one I can only describe as knees away to stop people overrising (literally take knees well away from the saddle and let the horse keep you in rising trot)

Try not gripping with anything just bring your shoulders forward from the vertical and relax your legs. If you stop trying to sit the horse will tilt you forwards and up. If you have to correct an existing trot try the knees away exercise first but make sure you do not try to use your back muscles instead.

I like to think of it as more of a hip 'thrust' than a 'rise' (although this can have hilarious consequences when demonstrating on the ground!)

But echo EML, it's not about pushing from anywhere, more about using the natural 'bounce' of the trot and controlling both the up and the down elements.

there are lots of ways of thinking about rising trot -- and some work for some people and others for others, so a great idea to post here asking for ideas -- looking forward to reading them all and learning some new ones!

for me, as I tend to do long hacks, I let the horse's movement just lift my bum out of the saddle, and then use my leg muscles and stirrups to make sure my bum lands GENTLY on the saddle on the downward movement...this is a riding trot I can keep doing for miles as it is very energy efficient!

Cathy

I find it very hard to let the trot bounce me out of the saddle - perhaps his trot is too slow and it will only bounce me out in an active forward going trot? Do you think the pace of the trot has anything to do with it?

Thanks eml - it always seems like there is something to improve all the time when riding - lol :rolleyes: :)

I just want to get it right to make it easier for Riley. It's the best feeling in the world when your giraffe necked horse softens into your hands, brings his haunches under him and practically pings underneath you - that's when i know i am doing it right and i usually feel like i am in rhythm and not forcing it :)

If you grip with your knees you make those your pivot point rather than your hips which means your lower leg becomes much more unstable. Rising trot on the flat shouldn't be that high - depending on the horse's movement it should just be the amount the horse pushes you forwards - and I like the idea of controlling the "down" part of the rise rather than concentrating on getting up. Also, if you make sure you are in balance - i.e., neither behind nor in front of the moment and that your shoulders are in the right place (over your hips), you'll find you have to work much less hard. I found rising trot one of those things I made way more complicated than it had be. Now I do that with canter ;)

Here's my shortlist:

1) Lower leg back and underneath me (ankle in alignment with my hip) making it more stable
2) Lower leg against the horse's side - holding but not gripping
3) Knees bent and relaxed (not gripping)
4) Lower back relaxed and soft
5) Hips open
6) Go with the horse's movement - controlling the ride with your thighs and core muscles
7) Smile :)

N

Think of it like your hips moving forward and back in an arc rather than up and down. You will need to SLIGHTLY incline your upper body in order to balance properly while rising - keep back straight though no hunching of shoulders. It will be like you are rocking forward on to your knees.

The best way I think of demonstrating the right kind of movement is to sit on a stool or small lightweight chair, with your legs apart at either side like you would if sat on the horse. Without leaning forward, try to lift the back two legs of the chair. You'll find, like Sofi P says, you have to kind of thrust your hips forward. It also is only possible if you have your legs underneath you not out in front.

I do think though that it helps me to thing of rocking forward onto my knees - you'll see this kind of happens using the chair demo.

Technically you should transfer your weight from your hip forward onto your knee, the best way to try is to do rising trot without your stirrups, have ago and see how you manage.

newrider.com