Riggy pony now spring has hit long suggestions needed

LokiSofi

Oct 11, 2003
New forest
My friend bought a very nervous 4 year old new forest gelding about 2 months ago. He was sold as a gelding but she was told he was only recently gelded so was a bit swollen still. Anyway he's been very well behaved etc and although nervous about some things generally fine and a good little pony.
BUT the past 3 weeks the mares have been in season and although they are kept away from all the geldings (my tbs were both cut late and can be a bit riggy) Reggie (the pony) has turned into a demon.
He is stabled at night and is out with Odin during the day, He is mounting Odin at every given opportunity much to Odins disgust:rolleyes::p he has also begun striking out and rearing at his owner and biting.
When walking behind him yesterday he was swishing his tail a lot and it looks like he still has 1 testicle:eek: I mentioned to his owner that he looked like he still had 'something there' she said well he was only recently gelded so it is still swollen. I thought nothing of it and thought that explains his behaviour too then.
Tonight though she found out he was actually cut over a year ago. He was done with a local vets. I've attempted to have a look underneath (when I had Joey tested for being a rig last year vet showed me how to feel and check to see if all had been removed etc) but I do not trust this ponys hind legs at all and there is no way I'm poking and prodding him.
I've suggested his owner get him checkedjust to be on safe side, she wants to get vets out who gelded him but I suggested using a different vet.
Anyway what do you lot think and what would you do? This evening he was really full of it, his owner isn't well at present and his sudden bolshy and at times aggressive behaviour isn't welcome especially as her 10 year old daughter handles him too.

Very difficult for you but i would say try to convince her to get a different vet out and check. Any riggy behaviour should have well gone in a year and the conflicting story is a little odd.

It does happen that one gets left behind so definately in her interests to get it checked if she wants him to calm down.

Do you have any mares at your yard Lokisofi? I believe you have Bubbles? no chance of him breaking through to her :eek::D!!!!

Do you think that she will get a vet?

Gx

Very difficult for you but i would say try to convince her to get a different vet out and check. Any riggy behaviour should have well gone in a year and the conflicting story is a little odd.

It does happen that one gets left behind so definately in her interests to get it checked if she wants him to calm down.

Do you have any mares at your yard Lokisofi? I believe you have Bubbles? no chance of him breaking through to her :eek::D!!!!

Do you think that she will get a vet?

Gx

Yes we have 2 mares on the yard. Both are kept seperate from all the geldings. both mares are in season and although he does repeatedly try and get thier attention over the fence and does stand for hours whickering and grunting to them over the fence he can't physically get over the fence unless he becomes an amazing jumper over night.
She only paid £100 for him which I thought was a bit cheap at the time but its a friend of hers so thought that was reason. Now I'm wondering if it's due to his behaviour.
She is very good and if I tell her to get a vet she will. But Im just a bit concerned she may get out vets who did the gelding and because they did it they may deny anything.

He's only been gelded recently ?

If so then you may have to wait up to 6 months/ a year for his hormones to leave his system :) He sounds like a normal, recently gelded colt to me :) ETA - although a year is a long time.. Do you know if he had covered before he was gelded ?

As he was gelded over a year ago a simple blood test will tell you whether he is a true rig - no need to hands/head in the firing line!

Last edited:
He's only been gelded recently ?

If so then you may have to wait up to 6 months for his hormones to leave his system :) He sounds like a normal, recently gelded colt to me :)

sorry think my post is bit confusing....His owner was told he was gelded only recently...She has Since found out he was gelded well over a year ago.

And yes I know all he needs is a blood test for rig test. (Joey had one last year) It's more the fact that he actually looks like he has a whole testicle left:eek::eek:

Last edited:
And yes I know all he needs is a blood test for rig test. (Joey had one last year) It's more the fact that he actually looks like he has a whole testicle left:eek::eek:

I didn't know you knew about the blood tests.. sorry - just a suggestion..

It could be a testicle or a hernia ? A candidate for some ACP and a feel about I think :)

I didn't know you knew about the blood tests.. sorry - just a suggestion..

It could be a testicle or a hernia ? A candidate for some ACP and a feel about I think :)

sorry didn't mean to come across how it did. I know you were just suggesting:)
i will get her to get the vet out and keep you all posted;)

newrider.com