Riding yours in from the field

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
There's the odd occasion I jump on and ride her back to the field.

But I have always wanted to jump on and ride her in. The issue though is I have lost some lbs. My bottom is less padded and she's not a happy cob! I tried the armchair seat and just the reshuffle caused her to pin those lugs and look round at my foot.
I can feel my own pelvic bone and she's definately not impressed that so can she!

Anyone else jump and ride in?

Yeah I always did with Annie and Mouse. Getting on a 12.2 was easy enough but it did take some practice to perfect jumping on a 15hh. She was always very patient though - I had to throw myself onto Mouse as he'd never wait for me!

I used to when they were at a field away from the yard, but it's not necessary now as my 'yard' is in the field so I just give them a whistle :)

Raf is like Tilley and doesn't like a human bum directly on his back, so no.

I've often thought about it with Jack (no longer because he's lost all his topline since he retired) but it's a long way in a straight line back from his field and some days he is in such a hurry to get back to the yard I think without the restrictions of a saddle and bridle he'd probably just dump his rider and gallop down the lane. Other days I'm sure he would just amble along but I wouldn't like to be caught out on a 'rush' day :p

There is no way I could get on mine to ride him in. It’s hard enough to get on with a mounting block!!
Getting on is the easy bit. We have post and rail.
It's her response afterwards that could be a health hazard. :)

@Bodshi she's an opportunist in the headcollar. So it would be halter or the bridle. I've already got reins on these.

Reactions: Bodshi
I do it occassionally, but usually get to the field and realise I've not got my hat so end up walking back anyway :D

Mr T used to do it sometimes - he's got long legs lol He'd hop on Storm and make a rope rein from the leadrope and headcollar. I was never brave enough!

Mine are in the field permanently, so no. When I used to untack Ziggy at the house, though, I would hop on him once we were through the field gate and ride him back to my section. I got dumped once there too!

Decided it was too windy to try today. Will see what tomorrow brings.
Trying to set myself up for success so they say.

newrider.com