Riding while pregnant

Barehooves

May 6, 2010
Hi, I'm not pregnant... Yet but me and my husband are trying kinda... I have 2 horses, I compete at endurance and was wondering what others did during their pregnancy? My horse is 110% safe, I've never fallen off her in 9 years, trust her with my life!

What about other stable duties, poo picking fields etc?

Thank you!!! X

I wasn't riding anyway when I was pregnant with both of mine but I would be one to say 'go ahead ride whilst pregnant' ... but a few a weeks ago I was out hacking and the horse I was riding just tripped over his own feet and fell over :frown: I'm ok apart from a cracked rib/s and was very sore for a few days - if I had been pregnant I doubt that the baby would have survived as I really did go with a huge thud!

So now, I think my personal stance/advice :mstickle: would be don't ride whilst pregnant!

As for yard duties etc, no problem, I don't think hard work is detrimental to pregnancy as long as you feel fit and well - when I was pregnant with #2 I still had to work and look after #1 who was 2 at the time and wanted picking up etc.

xx

Riding is high risk sport - sure.
But many riders do go on riding while pregnant until it becomes uncomfortable.
Endurance sounds as if it might make more demands than some other riding - but you need to get the experience of other Endurance riders.

Being happy while pregnant is very important.
However, no one can answer your question because riding, and pregnant women vary so much.

No one can tell you in advance how your hoped for pregnancy will progress.
You should do as your doctor says at the time - and, if your doctor is (in your opinion) over-cautious, come back to NR to discuss the pros and cons and possibly seek a second opinion.

Doing heavy yard work, lifting bales etc is another matter - I remember years and years ago not being supposed to do this in pregnancy and I think you should follow current medical advice.

I rode until about 14 weeks. I was riding horses I knew and would only do things I was comfortable with. Giving up wasn't a hard choice as the morning sickness was just too bad! Poor wee girl I was riding was quite traumatised my it! I really do think it's personal preference. I also believe with regards to both riding and doing chores that your body will tell you when it's had enough, in fact it will scream at you! Good luck when you start trying and remember only you can know how comfortable you feel x

newrider.com